Chapter 12

Hello, Sparrows! Here is chapter 12. :) I actually did a little research for this chapter. I have never been sailing, so I had to learn some ship terminology. If something is not entirely accurate, with regards to the ships/boats, I apologize. Also, if you have not read the most recent update, titled Question?, please do. I would greatly appreciate some input. So I dont think it will be the next chapter, but the one after, but there will be a lot of music. All the songs in that chapter I know from watching my favorite band at ren faire, Pride of Bedlam. That chapter will likely also be longer because of the songs, and the fact that I have been thinking about that chapter since I started this book. So yeah. :) enjoy!!!

Enna's POV

It's been almost two days since we left the Isle, and we are closing in on the port. The food Harry brought proved to be a true lifesaver. Eliza was more than happy with the cans of sardines (which were slightly past their prime). And Harry and I split the rations of hush puppies, eggs, and pickles. We had only a little of each left, enough just to last us through the next day. Hopefully the winds that had hurried us along would keep up. Harry usually ate all of his food in one sitting. I, however, to preserve the rations, and keep myself awake, ate in small increments. Whenever I caught myself falling asleep, I would eat a morsel or two. If I'm being totally honest though, I don't know if I can make it another day. I haven't slept since the day I arrived at the Isle. You don't really start to think about exhaustion until you hit the 12 hour mark. Well, I'm at roughly, the 52 hour mark. Give or take a few hours. I can tell my brain is starting to work slower, as well as my hands. It's becoming harder to stay on course.

Harry has noticed the changes as well, and has taken to sitting closer to me to help. He's still reading the sailing book, and seems to be totally enthralled by it. Every now and then, he will read something that excites him, and ask me if I knew that particular fact. (The answer was always yes, I've read that book six times at least.)

"Enna, you need tae rest. I'm sure I can keep us on track 'til we get there," Harry urges, concern evident in his voice. He's woken me from at least five pass-outs so far, and another isn't too far off. I shake my head quickly, hoping to shake off some of my exhaustion.

"No, I'm fine. It's not too much farther, and besides, you don't really know how to sail."

"I'm not sayin' I do. But all this really is is stayin' on course. Surely I can do that much. You need tae rest." I look at him. His ice-blue eyes are soft and worried.

"Even if it is just staying on course, it's not as easy as it sounds. While the wind is helping us, the current is fighting us. The current wants to push us westward." I nod my head towards the horizon to my right. Harry follows my gaze, then peers overboard into the blue-green depths.

"I don't see any current," he says, looking back up at me, confusion on his face. I resist the urge to facepalm. Is he serious? The look on his face has no trace of jesting.

"Harry," I say slowly, trying to keep in mind that he is new to all this. "...You cannot see underwater currents. You have to feel them."

"Oh..." he says. His face flushes red in embarrassment. I stifle a laugh. "You must think I'm a gowk," he says, rather abashedly, rubbing the back of his neck uncomfortably.

"Not at all. It's not like you were given much opportunity to learn anything like that." He looks up at me with a grateful smile on his face, before dipping his hand into the ocean to feel for the currents. I see his eyes light up as he feels the water push against his hand.