Chapter 11

Hello, Sparrows! Here is Chapter 11, finally. I know it's slow-going. Thank you for your patience. I'm super excited for the next few chapters. More bonding is in store for these two pirate sweethearts. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. If it isn't too much of a spoiler, or whatever, I'll answer. I know my writing isnt perfect, and I may not fully explain things. And as it is, I hate rereading my own work, so there is no editing. I may start writing more, as I cant start work on my next garb til my corsets come in. I hope you're all doing well in these hard times, and finding ways to be safe and still have fun. My mom and I took my son to the Water Cirque this weekend, and despite the changes, it was still fantastic. Social distance seating, performers wearing masks while amongst the audience, etc. As always, happy reading, Sparrows! 😊

************************************
Enna's POV

I sigh with relief as I come out of the alleyway, spotting Sparrow's Nest bobbing gently against Tick Tock Dock. I stride, somewhat wearily over to my boat, smiling as soon as I see Eliza curled up serenely in the coil of rope underneath the board that serves as a seat. I step gingerly into the boat, trying not to wake her, but as soon as my boot touches the wood, her beautifully mismatched eyes open, and she lets out a yawn, stretching out her legs in front of her, the hairs on her back standing up straight.

"Hello, girl. Miss me?" I ask, sitting down and offering her a pet. She curls her head into my hand as I scratch softly behind her soft ears. I smile at hearing her purr contentedly. I shrug off my heavy coat, the heat from the late afternoon sun becoming too much to bear. I take my compass from the pocket, opening it hesitantly. The arrow points back onto the Isle, and I sigh exasperatedly. "Stupid magic-blocking barrier." I decide that I need to make haste back to the Port to resupply before heading to Auradon. As it is, I have no food, save the SOS stash of sun-dried fish in the bottom of one of my trunks. I don't bother pulling out my maps, as I can see the port from where I am, and I know already how long it will take to arrive. "Back to the Port, girl. I thought I would be able to resupply here, but I was dead wrong. We'll have to go a few days with minimal food." Eliza meows, as if she understands what I'm saying. I turn to untie the mooring rope, and am startled to see Harry Hook standing there, his tri-corn hat perched somewhat askew on his head. I am about to say something indignant, when I notice his dispirited expression. His mouth is pulled down from its usual smirk into a frown, his blue eyes are lacking their playful spark, and his brow is furrowed as he avoids meeting my eyes. Then, as if he can hear the question in my mind, he speaks.

"Uma and I got into a bit o' a rammy. She's dismissed me from her crew." He keeps his face cast downward, and I stay silent, sensing that he isn't finished. "I can't go home. Me father is a drunkard, an' the drink makes him...well, let's just say that I learnt quickly to deflect and block blows." I don't respond, having guessed as much from the tone of his conversation earlier. "I've nowhere to go. There's nothin' left for me 'ere." He slowly brings his eyes up to meet mine, and my breath catches at the pain I see there. That feeling, I know it well. It's more than just pain. It's a pain twinged with sadness, enhanced by the loss of someone dear, all wrapped up in the feeling of being lost, truly alone in this world. I felt it when my mother passed, before the letter came from my father. Before I had hope, I had felt this pain. And as I look into Harry's eyes, that pain is all I can see. I feel for him, as I know how it feels. And I find myself wanting to help him. I want to take him away from this prison that has caused him this pain.

"You don't have to explain. I want to help. But I can't just take you to Auradon with me. I know King Ben gave me leave to do whatever I need, but I'm not sure if bringing someone from the Isle with me is covered in that." He nods understandingly, but sadly. "But, I have to go back to the Port anyway to resupply. Once we're there, I can send a letter through a pigeon to King Ben explaining, and asking permission for you to accompany me to Auradon." He looks at me questioningly.