Secrets

~Sasuke~

It was the middle of the day and I was still lying in bed, the digital clock on our night stand turned from 1:12 to 1:13 A.M. All night, I imagined her lying beside me, rolling in the opposite direction so I would wrap my arms around her dainty body and hold her close; her head below my chin and her back against my bare chest. I would feel her light breathing as she rested in my arms fast asleep. Complete bliss that I would never feel again.

I sighed to myself as the thoughts of my wife were interrupted by the loud continuous knocking at the front door. My body managed to pull itself up, despite my brain arguing to wait until they left. As I made my way down stairs, the knocking turned into banging and quickened in its pace. I took a peak out of the peephole, watching the frantic red-head become even more flustered with each second. Her face almost as red as her hair from anger. She clutched her fist, hesitating to knock again. Karin leaned her head against the door and sighed, clearly something was on her mind. Before she could leave, I slowly turned the handle and cracked it open, not bothering to remove the small chain lock on the door, "What do you want?" I muttered.

"I want you to open the stupid door and give you a piece of my mind, god damn it!" Karin hollered at me, her voice cracking as she spoke.

"I don't want it," I said, about to close the door in her face, but she blocked it from closing with her foot, insisting that she was coming inside. But I didn't want her to see how much of a mess the house had become without her around. "I'll come out there, just hold on."

I could hear her scoff as I closed the door to undo the chain, "Hurry the hell up!" She complained, her words muffled by the door. I sighed, leaning against my door frame, eyeing her foot tapping impatiently for her chance to make my ears bleed. But instead of her high pitched and aggressive voice, she exhaled and paused before she stared up at me with her glossy, cherry eyes, "I came back to pick up my things, but mostly, I want to yell and scream at you."

"For what I said to you?" I rolled my deep, dark orbs at her. "Go for it..."

"I could give less than a shit about what you say to me! This is about you. I want to yell and tell you how frustrating it is to watch you make yourself suffer. I want to slap you to make you snap out of your delusions, but I won't... You may have lost your wife, but Sarada lost her mother too, ya know. You can't forget that she needs a support system, someone to be there for her. You are barely taking care of yourself, so what does that mean for Sarada, huh?" Karin's lips quivered, balling up her fists and raising them at me, "You can be upset, you lost the love of your life, but you can't be selfish. You need to properly heal instead of drowning in her death. You can't drag Sarada down with you, it's not fair to her--It's not what she needs. She needs her father."

Tears flowed from her crimson eyes like aqueducts transporting water downhill. She gritted her white teeth and banged on my chest in a slow, steady rhythmic tempo with her fists. All her frustrations were conveyed in this moment. Her heart poured out and I stood there listening, taking it all in. Before she struck my chest again, I caught her wrist in midair, observing her break down into a larger fit, "You bastard, all I want is for all yours's and Sarada's suffering to end...I want your pain to be over, just to see the two of you smile again. T-That's all I want." She sobbed. Karin's legs wobbled, and I understood. For once I could see clearly since Sakura had passed away.

I pulled her in close and supported her weight with my only hand against the arch of her back. She pressed her face against me, crying into my shirt and drenching it with her salty tears, "Stop crying."

Karin didn't bother to respond, but her sobs became low hiccups, "I'll be better, I promise."

As soon as she could stand on her own, I put my hand on her head and bent my knees down to her level. "No more crying, alright?"