It All Falls Apart [Part II]

Sarada and I sat inside Mito's tent, her eyes fixated on the red-headed force of nature, knowing quite well the history behind that seal. She remembered hearing the stories of her abilities as an Uzumaki, her knowledge of Naruto's lineage. I always found it sweet how much she wanted to be like him, a Hokage, a leader. I never blamed Sarada for wanting that, sometimes I wish more people were like Naruto, including myself. I thought about my blonde goofball friend, we were so close that I considered him family. Another member of my family I would have willingly left behind. I was happy to hear that he was a role model to my only daughter. I was reluctant to go back home, what was waiting for me there? It was like I was already dead as it was. People had already started to move on...though I can't say the same for Sarada. She was all I considered left of my life in that time. If I stayed, I'm not sure she would ever forgive me.

We'd been waiting for Hashirama to leave camp so we can track him from a distance. I lied to everyone, told them that Hashirama wanted us to stay hidden, as far away as possible but tail him posing as Uchiha soldiers. I figured it'd be the best way to not only hide from Hashirama but get close to Madara too. As far as I knew, Madara didn't know what his brother did—locking me away like some sort of poisoner. But why? What was the reason?

Sarada pulled herself together and faced me with all the courage she could muster, "Momma, are you coming home with us because you want to or because..." She couldn't continue, small tears forming in her eyes, ones I could never get tired of looking into. Mito left the tent, offering us a second of privacy, a gesture I appreciated. I hadn't seen Sarada much since she arrived and much less one-on-one. I could only offer her a sympathetic look, one that gave her enough of an answer. Sarada would be the only one I would want to go home for. All three of them risked their lives to come back to this time and rescue me. If I helped them, it only made sense to return the favor and go back home with them. "What did lady Mito mean earlier by Madara has a soft spot for you? Do you care about him? He-He was part of the reason the fourth great war happened and everything that happened with Lord sixth's friend Obito. I don't understand."

"I don't quite understand it either. I'm not sure what I could say to make sense of any of it for you, but I think you deserve the slightest bit of honesty on my part—truth is, I care about him the same way I cared about your dad. I can't help but want to save him from his darkness, keep him from following that path. After getting to know his all this time, I got to see a side of him that was left untouched and not completely taken over by death and war."

"Cared...meaning you don't anymore—is that because of Karin? I saw them kiss, it wasn't like how you two—," I cut her off and pulled her into the tightest hug I could muster. To kiss another woman in front of my daughter while she's hurting.

"Sarada, I want you to understand something. I'm not angry, a little hurt but not angry. Your dad handled my death in a different way than you did. I can't blame him for needing comfort and finding that in someone else when I wasn't there, he didn't know I was still alive. Karin was there...I'm so sorry that you happened to be there when it happened and in no way will I ever tell you to be okay with it. But I want you to see that your father did what was best for himself in that moment to feel okay again," As soon as I spoke those words, tears outlined my cheeks, I could feel her sobs too as she softly hiccupped into the nape of my neck. "I care about your dad, I do. Just...somethings off. Not wrong, just different than what it was. I think my dying changed a lot more we all realize. What I meant was that it's possible that I also care about someone else the same way. Your dad always has that special place in my heart."

All Sarada could do was grip the sides of my shirt tighter, her tiny hands not daring to let go, reminding me of her small embraces when she was a toddler. She needed me so much back then, but she was growing up so much. Though now, I'm not sure she needs me as much as she thinks she does. I pushed away from her, watching her wipe away the droplets that covered her face, her nose red from irritation. Mito waltz into the tent, catching our attention with a fierce expression on her face, "I suggest you take your leave now, Hashirama has already left our camp. Don't worry, I'll keep an eye on her and the Uzumaki."