3: Year Old Pity

It was Friday night and I was waiting for my old highschool friends. They started this group chat in Facebook and insisted we should catch up. But I dunno how much catching up can we do in the noisy bar they wanted to go to.

I sighed and worried I might ruin the night for them. I don't drink much and I'm worried that will make me the party popper.

I spotted Jake. He took the same degree and university as me. So yeah, he knows the drama between me and Darex. It wasn't really a drama more like a commercial on how quick he broke it off.

Jake saw me too and went to my direction. I groaned internally and prayed another person will show up. It will be awkward with me and Jake. We greeted each other and asked customary how-are-you's. Jake was taller than me but that wasn't the reason I felt intimidated. He looked at me pitifully.

I wanted to run off and just go home but thankfully someone cheerfully shouted, "Heeeey! OMG, it's been so long guys!" It was Khaylee. She hugged us both and ran off her mouth like she used to do back in highschool. She is such a ball of energy that I barely noticed we entered the bar and now chatting inside our own booth.

The other guys arrived a little later making us a group of 7 people. I avoided being left or conversing with Jake. He looked like he was judging me and I started thinking back how Darex was buddies with him around the time we were graduating. I need to calm myself. I excused myself saying I need to go to the loo.

I was about to enter the corridor to the restrooms when I heard Jake's voice. "Wait up, Melissa"

I faced him and answered. "What's up?"

"Uhmm.. I don't really know how to say this... Uhmm.. Darex told me stories about you guys. He said how you were with him.. uhmm.. alone. He said you were boring and that you were like how you look - simple and obedient."

Is that how everyone saw me after my relationship with Darex? Shit. Is that how people looked at me during university?!

"So that's what everyone's looks were. I thought they were just pity. Turns out they were laughing about my fake sex life with Darex."

"I knew it, his stories were bullshit."

"What? Did he say the typical he's great in bed story?"

"Yeah, something like that."

"He's such an-"

"Asshole."

I stared at Jake and laughed. "I was about to say arrogant liar, but that works too. Is that why you're telling me this? Confirming a year old lie?"

"Not really... I wanted you to know that me and my friends from university wasn't and are not impressed with Darex. We hanged out with you long enough to know you are more than his bullshit stories."

I was avoiding Jake the whole night but here he was, saying the words - I didn't even know - I wanted to hear. It's like some weight has been lifted off me.

I felt defeated ever since the break up. The reason why I always felt out of place is because my body knew I was topic of gossips I didn't even know about. The looks, the whispers, the snickers.

For the first time, I felt the right emotion. I was angry. I was angry at Darex.

"Thank you Jake. I mean it. You don't know how much I realized because of you. I was even avoiding you tonight. Thank you." I smiled at him.

=

"Eh? Suga, where are you going? Aren't you going to rest?"

"I have a lesson."

"Oh, right, you have that English lesson. Have fun then!"

=

You are quiet today Melissa.

Oh, I'm sorry Yoongi. Something has been on my mind since last night. 

I'm not being professional am I? 

I'm okay. Don't worry :D

I don't have lessons with Yoongi on Fridays and have Saturdays with him instead.

Tell me what's wrong. This will help me be accustomed to talk about personal matters in English.

He says it like he isn't already using uncommon words.

Hmm.. 

I recently found out that a trusted friend was spreading false rumors about me a year ago.

That's awful. I'm sorry.

I'm glad I disabled the log of my sessions with Yoongi. English Me added that feature to monitor teachers, but it was mostly going to be used as proof if disputes happen. That means no one actually checks every one of them. So when I was assigned as a teacher, I fiddled with the code to not record and backup my sessions in the company server. I also did the same for some teachers and published the code changes with a generic user so they'll think it wasn't delibirately changed.

I did not like the idea that the company has some hold on to me.

Thank you Yoongi.

Is this friend from work? Are the rumors affecting you until now?

Oh no. It happened in my last year in university.

That means Melissa is around my age, since you usually graduate university in the Philippines when your 21, right?

I am 22, does that mean you are 23?

24 :)

Ah!

Oppa~

Oh shit. I can't believe I typed that.

Melissa, that's not fair.

I think I'm blushing.

===

Author's Notes:

Hello! I am sorry I wasn't able to update earlier. Got caught up with other things. Anywho... Yes, Melissa is from the Philippines, where I am originally from :3 Now, I'm drifting here and there in the wind :P  I made Melissa caring and after all the drama with Darex, she lost her confidence. Hope you'll watch her development thanks to Suga! What do you guys think of the "oppa" scene? ;) 

Love pastelpinkhair *hugs*