Memorandum 5

The following morning, was awfully devastating.

The alarm went off at its usual time, 8:00 a.m. My heavy eyelids opened halfway, without energy to look at the alarm they closed tightly shut. They were sealed, opening them were like trying to break dried cement. My body felt as if it weighed tons of pounds. It would not budge, it couldn't even move an inch. I was planted on my bed as if shackles were tightly circled around my wrists and ankles with hardly any room to move. It was as if invisible chains were tied around my bed to prevent me from getting up.

The only thing motivating me to move was the constant ringing in my ear the alarm beeped. It had to be turned off.

Beep...Beep...Beep...

After a few minutes, in defeat, I unconsciously went back to sleep.

Ring... Ring... Ring...

Unresponsive, I inhaled deeply. The cell phone was ringing now.

Beep...Ring...Beep...Ring...Beep...Ring...

Annoyed, I gradually lifted my left arm to reach the cell phone ringing.

Groggy I spoke,"Hello?"

"Hello?" A voice paused, "Elsa is that you?"

Inaudibly, I answered, "Yes it's me."

"You know what, go back to sleep. I can't understand what you are saying. Come to work today at 13:00."

"Can't."

"Why?" Sighing he continued, "Elsa, I am your boss. I am calling you to work. Today."

"Sick." After a long silence, I said, "I'll be there."

"Great! Bye." He hung up the call instantly.

Reaching towards the ongoing alarm for the past two hours, I noticed the fever. The burning sensation of my body was intensified compared to yesterdays fever. The sheets were slightly damp because of the moist sweat on my skin.

Lethargically, I showered in a tub full of freezing cold water. Feeling my fever go down temporarily- it made me forget I even had it in the first place. I felt energized as if nothing had happened, I grabbed my work uniform and tied my hair into a ponytail. Preparing myself for work, I grabbed a quick snack to eat later, cookies.

Walking to the restaurant, I arrived a few minute early. I opened the bag of mini chocolate chip cookies and began munching them gradually.

"Hey girl, how can you eat those cookies without milk?" Melissa, the coworker from yesterday who I covered for asked.

I tilted my head to the side and batted my eyelashes in her direction, "I can't drink milk. I lactose genes required to digest it."

"How corny!" She persisted, "No, but seriously why?"

"Simple. I don't like it."

"Fair enough. Let's get to work?" She suggested in an inviting way.

I'm not sure how I managed that shift that day. It was stuffy and I was completely out of breath most of the day. Breathing heavily, I managed to finish most of the work. But I knew I needed to step out and feel the cold and cloudy weather touch my skin.

Walking out for a few deep breaths, I noticed the moister in my breath when I exhaled. After exhaling a few times like puffy disappearing smoke, the water vapor released from my lips fogged my circled rimmed glasses.

"I knew you'd be sick."

Recognizing that accent, I turned to see you a few feet behind.

"What does that mean? By the way, who are you? Where are you from?"

You spoke, "It means you'll vomit because you're sick. My name is Ira, and I'm from another place."

"Well, I haven't thrown up yet."

"You will soon."

As if on cue, the contents of my stomach were all spread over the paved sidewalk. The burning in my throat bubbled with the urge to continue once more. The cookies eaten a few hours ago were gone, the only thing remaining was my empty stomach. Beads of sweat formed on my forehead were gently rolling down my face.

"Look at you, and you still went to work." In a disapproving manner, you shook your head from side to side. "Let's go talk to your manager." Before stepping into the restaurant, you paused, "Your name?"

Breathing heavily, I breathed out,"Elsa."

Minutes later you walked out. "You don't even bring a coat with you in this awful weather."

"It's too hot for that," I replied.

"Alright, where's your unit?"

"I don't know what you're saying half the time," I said honestly.

Your baffled expression came and left within a second. After realizing I didn't understand your slang, you asked in a forced tone while clenching your teeth, "Where. Do. You. Live?"

"Over there." I pointed in the distance towards a tall building. You couldn't miss it.

"Tallest one?" You asked.

"Yeah."

Sighing, you grabbed my wrist with a tight grip. Slowly, but surely, I could have sworn your touch eased my fever slightly. "You're that weird guy from last time, right?"

You gave me a frigid expression sending me chills down my spine. Your hardened dark eyes gave me a quick glance before facing back towards the direction of my apartment.