PIXABAY

PIXABAY

www.pixabay.com

Pixabay offers photos, illustrations, vector graphics and videos. You can use the general search or you can review the Editor's Choice. Some photos are exotic, some are mundane, such as Buddhist monks in saffron robes praying in a Tibetan temple, or a basket of yarn and knitting needles. You never know what you're going to get, but if ordinary and extraordinary are your needs, you may find them at Pixabay.

Most photos on Pixabay are free of copyrights, with the exception of sponsored images, which help to finance the Pixabay platform, and to provide customers with a choice of professional photos. Those images are watermarked with the Shutterstock logo.

Also, there is explicit content on Pixabay, so you have to be careful when searching. The website recommends you, "... make use of our SafeSearch filter, which can help you block inappropriate or explicit images from your search results. The SafeSearch filter isn't 100% accurate, but it helps you avoid most adult content."

Other pictures are released under Creative Commons CC0 licenses into the public domain. That means you can copy, modify, distribute, and use the images, even for commercial purposes, all without asking for permission or giving credits to the artist. That doesn't mean that the content isn't still protected by trademarks, publicity or privacy rights.

It's confusing, isn't it?