LIBRARY OF CONGRESS (LOC)

www.loc.gov

Sticking with a United States governmental agency, the Library of Congress is an excellent resource, with an emphasis on History and Heritage, but it might not fit your needs if you're working on a contemporary project.

The Library of Congress's mission is, "... to support Congress in fulfilling its constitutional duties, and to further the progress of knowledge and creativity for the benefit of the American people." Its websites offer public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that may contain offensive language or negative stereotypes, so be mindful when browsing.

That being said, the Library of Congress does not own the rights to materials in its collections. As a publicly supported institution, it can not charge permission fees for using materials, and generally does not grant or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute them.

Permissions and fees may be required from the individual copyright holder, if items are not in Public Domain. Reproduction of content protected by copyright, beyond what is allowed by fair use or other exemptions, requires written permission from the copyright holder.

How to Find Free to Use Media

The bottom of the LOC homepage features items from the library's digital collections that are freely available for your use.

The library's digital collections comprise millions of items including books, newspapers, manuscripts, prints and photos, maps, musical scores, recordings and more, so have fun exploring.