PD INFO

PD INFO

www.pdinfo.com

PD Info is the Public Domain Information Project, and was created in 1986 by Marji Hazen and a group of folk singers in Ashland, Ohio, to help musicians find sheet music in the public domain.

PD moved to Atlanta in 1999, part of Haven Sound, Inc., and now boasts a professional recording studio and audio-post facility, a library of public domain music, and print-on-demand systems for publishing sheet music and royalty free sound recordings.

According to its website, "Our expertise includes sound engineering, audio post engineering, public domain music research, rare book preservation, and more web programming experience than any bunch of musicians ever ought to have to do. PD Info started out working with independent artists and filmmakers. But the pros quickly recognized quality work at great prices, and our products and services are found virtually anywhere you find commercial music."

Public Domain is tricky, and PD Info has the goal to, "teach you how to understand and fully respect legal copyright protection, yet identify and freely use music that is truly in the public domain."

When a work passes into the public domain it can be used without permission or charge because no one owns it, however, care must be taken to determine if a work is actually in the public domain.

Works in the public domain are those whose exclusive intellectual property rights have expired, have been forfeited, or are inapplicable. For example, the works of Shakespeare and Beethoven, and most of the early silent films, are all now in the public domain by either being created before copyrights existed or leaving the copyright term.

In the United States, determining if content is public domain or is still under copyright is complex, because copyright terms have been extended. The claim that, "... pre-1923 works are in the public domain" is correct only for published works; unpublished works are under federal copyright for at least the life of the author plus 70 years.

Works of the United States Government are excluded from copyright law and may therefore be considered to be in the public domain.

Dear readers,

If this book helped anyone of you, please Vote, Share and comment.
Also go to my website for more  useful guides and books.
💜