Seven: 'Hindering Frustration'

Over the course of a few weeks, Boris had concluded that Bendy wasn't a bad teacher. 

Snappy at times?

Yes.

Stubborn and close minded to suggestions?

Oh absolutely, but it was difficult for the wolf to be irritated when he recognized that the demon was only ensuring his own security. For the first couple of days the fiend started off with the basics: explaining the features of general firearms and giving very precise safety information. Boris didn't even come close to placing his shaky fingertips on a trigger until Bendy was certain the wolf was ready. The demon's advice was very stern, but he didn't mind repeating himself; even if he was irritably hesitant at first. Although he was surprisingly patient, there were times when that didn't last for long. More often than not explaining something more than twice crossed a line, so Boris tried his best to pay attention... even if he felt like most of the information was ultimately useless and self-explanatory.  Eventually, after much debate, they ended up sticking to the back of the house for the 'training'.

The wooded area in the backyard was a lovely place to wander, even if the only time Boris really saw much of it was when he was shooting empty soup cans on a stump. The ambience was soft, the smell was crisp, and the seemingly endless row of tree stumps were menacing- but intriguing nonetheless. After practice, the two would take in the peaceful atmosphere while the demon of the duo calmly had a smoke. In the midst of silences, Boris attempted to make small talk, but was given either a sloppy reply or nothing at all. Bendy seemed detached to the conversations if he was on the receiving end- listening and mildly intrigued- but cold with his words. Every now and again the demon would smirk or chuckle, but his blank expression snapped back into place moments later.  Whenever he spoke, that was when he really glimmered.  The wolf found it a little amusing that the demon seemed to love to hear himself talk.  Bendy explained the role of a sniper in great detail, which seemed like a lot of pressure. Having to be the sharp shot for the group would take some getting used to, especially with the wolf's reluctant reflexes. While the weary toon was shaken, Bendy's blunt words of encouragement and prideful pats on the back gave Boris all the confidence he really needed. It felt nice to be appreciated for his efforts. And even if that appreciation was flat, it was far from disingenuous. While Boris would admit Bendy constantly made him feel on edge, there was a subtle tenderness to the fiend that never failed to perk his interest. He was trying, and that's all that really mattered.

Three days prior to the event, Boris had hesitantly mentioned that his birthday was on the thirteenth of May.  At dawn of the spoken day, Chester paid from his own pocket to get a cake, while William offered a few cents for candles. Alice picked up the baked treat and dropped it off at the house, giving a few words of birthday wishes towards Boris, and plenty of hostile remarks towards Bendy.

After wrapping up the jingle of happy birthday and serving everyone a generous slice of vanilla, the toons scarfed down the treat without a second thought. When the topic of presents came in display, Ricky piled two more pieces onto his plate before sneaking away from the scene with frosting coating his lips. Although there was plenty of banter and teasing over the neglect of presents, there was truly no denial that the wolf had gifts in store for him.  Boris insisted that the frosting-covered treat was more than enough, only to be handed a hand-stitched badge and a grocery bag filled to the brim with artificially flavored cherry lollipops in response. His absolute favorite kind of candy. Chester bragged about how him and William had gone through three king-sized bags of Dumdums just to find them. Boris was overjoyed by the kindness, and needless to say had given the two plenty of heartfelt thank yous in gratitude. After all that died down, however, Chester was the first of the bunch to point out Bendy's lack of participation. After getting questioned what he had to offer, the fiend jokingly insisted that he was in fact the gift. Boris laughed in response to the comment, waving it off and telling the fiend that his mentoring was more than enough as a birthday gift. Chester was swift to suggest otherwise, however.