Chapter:13

Thirty eight weeks

I honestly feel like I'm going to explode from how big my belly is. It's PBR finals week and if anything goes wrong I'm going to be shot into labor two weeks early. I was at Boot Barn going through the baby stuff when I had to clench my belly. I brushed it off as Braxton Hick's contractions and continued on. I picked up a blue blanket and a onesie I know he'll grow into. Then went to the counter to pay.

Oh did I mention that last week Cody and I finally got married. Yeah. Once this is over we're going straight back there and staying there until January or February. I felt another contraction this one worse. Cody let me take the truck shopping just in case I do happen to go into labor. I timed the contractions. Five minutes apart. I then called him letting him know where I'll be and that he should get there too.

He and I both looked up the many different ways to have a baby. My favorite was the birthing pool. We looked at the hospital here just in case and that just in case turned into a it's going to happen case. Luckily I've got everything here in the truck with me so he doesn't have to get anything. Least it's day three. I got there and parked getting out. Good thing I chose to wear one of my maternity dresses today.

I didn't grab anything before I walked in. Chances are the more pelvic exercises I do the quicker this baby is going to come. Just before I was led back Cody came running in. "Sure picked a fine time to come." He said. "I know. Good thing we toured it here." I said. As soon as we got to the threshold of the room I stopped. A liquid ran down my leg.

"You alright baby?" Cody asked. "Nope. My water just broke." I said. Once the pain from the latest contraction subsided I went farther into the room. The first thing I did or was told to do was sit on the exercise ball in the room. Since week thirty two I've been stretching my pelvis. A doctor soon came in. "Let's see what position the baby is in shall we." She said.

I knew Cody wanted to be closer to me but stood back a bit unsure of what to do. While I was sitting she did a quick search for the position of the baby. "Looks like baby is in position. And is definitely moving making labor more induced." She said. "This was going to be a water birth?" She asked. "Yes." I answered. "All we have to do is check dilation and get you ready."

I laid on the bed in the room like she said to. "Nine centimeters." She said. "Am I already supposed to feel anything coming through?" I asked. "Once you get into the pool it should be easier to tell for you." She said. Cody came right over to me then. I'm supposed to be a full ten not nine and I'm pretty sure that's the baby's head coming through. I was pretty standoffish at this woman.

She looked too young to be a doctor especially one giving birth to babies. I would have felt better if it would have been a man that has gray and has already reassured both Cody and I. Even a woman that has had more experienced and slightly gray hair. I asked her if she could excuse us and she declined. Yup she's never done this before.

A nurse came in just then with a silvering haired lady. "Looks like my shadowee arrived before I did instead of meeting me in my office." The graying doctor said. "Baby in correct position?" The doctor asked. "Yes ma'am." "Fully dilated?" She asked. "Yes." "May I interrupt?" I asked. "Yes." "No." The doctor looked at the younger lady. "You always let the patient voice her opinion." The doctor said.

The lady looked down fallen. "I'd feel better if it was just the doctor, nurse and my husband in the room." I said. The contractions were already seconds apart. "Sounds like a plan. If you would get ready for delivery the rest of us will step out." The doctor said. I'm sure they were going to have a word with the lady. "Are you ready for this baby?" Cody asked. "He's got to come out sometime and that time appears to be now." I said.

He helped me out of the dress and my undergarments before helping me into the pool. Just as I sat down in the chair submerged in water with the bottom out the doctor and her nurse came in. The chair was specially designed for this. Instead of squatting on the ground the chair has you in a squatting position. Cody had his sleeves rolled up already or his shirt off to assist me.

"Right behind you baby." He whispered. "Ready?" She asked. I nodded. Cody offered his hand to me. I took it partially squeezing it as another contraction hit. "Start pushing when your ready." The doctor said. I immediately started. After several good pushes Cody placed his other hand on my belly. "I can see his head baby. Come on he's almost out." He whispered. I had to look down. I could faintly see the crown of the head.

"Keep pushing. Don't strain." He said. I relaxed for a bit before pushing once more. "His head's out. Come on his shoulders next. That's all we have left before gravity kicks in." He said. I continued to push until Cody let go of my hand and reached into the water. I looked down as he pulled our boy out of the water. "Looks like a beautiful baby boy." The doctor said.

She let Cody cut the umbilical cord before having our son cleaned up, weighed and handed back to us. The warm water felt good as I just sat there. The nurse showed me how to breastfeed. He latched on after a few seconds. I looked up at Cody. "Best mistake I ever made." He said. He leaned down to kiss me. I then had to switch him over to the other one.

He was fast asleep in no time. "Would you like me to take him while you go get cleaned up?" Cody asked. "Do you want to?" I asked. "You worked hard since we both found out that we were going to have a baby. You deserve to finally rest." He said. I let him take our son so I could really get cleaned up. When I stepped out of the bathroom I saw Cody in the rocking chair just sitting there with our child staring out the window.

I walked over and put an arm around him resting my head on his shoulder. "We go so caught up in worrying about where he'd be born that we forgot about what we were planning on naming him." He said. "How about Rowdy." I said. "As a young boy he'll be Rowdy." He said. "As a teenage boy and young man he will too. Until he decides to settle down." I said.

"Then what about his middle name?" He asked. "Haven't gotten that far." I said.