Chapter Twelve

"Lucy!" Natsu called out to her. She didn't answer him. He cursed himself for letting her get away from him. It was his fault. What was he thinking telling her that he was a demon? Clearly he wasn't thinking at all.

​ "Natsu!" Happy yelled from above. "I found Lucy!"

​ Happy lead Natsu to what looked like a tunnel leading down into the mountain. Natsu hopped down inside and found Lucy lying at the bottom, but she wasn't moving.

​ "Shit," Natsu said kneeling down next to her. She was breathing, but her forehead was bleeding. Natsu took off his scarf and wrapped her head as tightly as he could.

​ "Hey, Natsu," Happy said sounding worried. "Is Lucy's ankle supposed to bend that way?"

​ Natsu looked at Lucy's legs and saw what Happy was talking about. Lucy's ankle was definitely messed up, and facing the wrong direction. "We gotta get her to the old lady," Natsu said picking Lucy up. Her ankle dangled uselessly. Happy turned away looking more green than blue.

​ "Natsu, look!" Happy yelled suddenly. He flew off towards the back of the cave and Natsu saw what he was so excited about.

​ A black stone speckled with gold spots sat on a pedestal. "That's the Dragon's Heart," Natsu said in awe. "Lucy really did lead us to it."

​ "Should I grab it?" Happy asked.

​ "Yeah, and hurry up, we gotta get Lucy back to the guild."

❤ ❤ ❤

​ The Fire Heart guild went quiet when Natsu came in carrying Lucy. "Where's the old lady?" Natsu yelled.

​ "Upstairs," White called out to him.

​ Natsu strode by everyone and went up the stairs. He knew the old lady was probably in his room, so that's where he headed.

​ "Dear Lord, Natsu, what the hell happened?" The old lady said when Natsu flopped Lucy down onto his bed.

​ "She ran from me and tripped down a hole." Natsu said. "Can you fix her?"

​ "Not much I can fix," The old lady said. "I can give her some medicine to speed up the healing process. But that ankle of hers will take forever to heal no matter what I do."

​ The old lady unwrapped Natsu's scarf from Lucy's head and handed it to Natsu. Natsu took it and stared at the blood stains. He couldn't quite place the feeling in his stomach. Anger? Worry?

​ "Just out of curiosity, why did she run from you?" The old lady asked.

​ "I told her I was a demon," Natsu said clutching his scarf. The smell of Lucy's blood was making his blood boil.

​ "And you thought that would be a good idea?"

​ "She asked." Natsu said.

​ The old lady shook her head. "Did you at least get the Heart?"

​ "Yep."

​ "Good. At least the trip wasn't a complete failure. And don't worry about Lucy, she'll be fine."

​ Natsu looked down at Lucy again. "What makes you think I'm worried?"

​ "Oh, please," The old lady scoffed. "It's written all over your face."

❤ ❤ ❤

​ This was the second time Lucy woke up in Natsu's bed, except this time she felt like she got run over by a train. Her head pounded, her body ached, and her right ankle felt like someone had ripped it off. Lucy looked to see that her ankle had a cast on it.

​ "You broke it," The old lady said answering Lucy's silent question. She was standing in the doorway looking at Lucy.

​ "What happened?" Lucy asked.

​ "I'm not surprised you don't remember, because of that head injury of yours," The old lady said pointing at Lucy's forehead. "Natsu said you ran away from him, and then you tripped and fell down a hole. Looked like it was a pretty nasty fall. Anyway, Natsu brought you back here."

​ It all came flooding back to Lucy. Natsu had told her he was a demon. That's why she ran. She felt a sinking feeling in her stomach. Natsu was actually a demon, and Lucy had actually helped him get the Heart. Wait, did he get the Heart?"

​ "What about the Heart?" Lucy asked.

​ "He got it. Apparently, you fell down into the cave that contained it. How very convenient, don't you think?"

​ "He brought me back here even though he didn't need me anymore," Lucy said more to herself than the old lady.

​ "Did you really think he would leave you behind after all he's done for you?" The old lady asked and Lucy looked up at her surprised. "Honestly, Child, he may be a demon, but he does have feelings."

​ Lucy sat there dumbstruck thinking about the old lady's words. She was right.

        Natsu had stood up for her multiple times, and has told her things he's never told anyone else. Lucy didn't know why, but clearly Natsu would never let her get hurt.

​ A minute later Natsu came into the room. He stopped and stared at Lucy from the end of the bed.

​ "Well, I have pain meds to make. Lucy's ankle is going to feel like it's on fire in an hour or so," The old lady said excusing herself from the room. She closed the door behind her leaving Natsu and Lucy alone.

​ "Thank you," Lucy said quietly, "For bringing me back here. You saved my ass, again."

​ Natsu sat at the end of the bed. He didn't say anything though, he just looked at her, like he was trying to solve a very hard math question.

​ "And I'm sorry, I shouldn't have run from you," Lucy said.

​ "Yeah, then you probably wouldn't have gotten hurt," Natsu said.

​ "I know, but at least you got the Heart."

​ "But if you would've fallen into a different cave than I wouldn't have."

​ "I said I was sorry!" Lucy yelled. "You know I'm the one who got hurt! You got your Heart and I'm fine, so no big deal."

​ "That's not what I'm pissed about," Natsu yelled back. "You're the first person I told what I am too, and you reacted just as I thought you would. I shouldn't have said anything, then you wouldn't have run, and you wouldn't have gotten hurt. Simple."

​ Lucy stared at him. So...he was mad at himself? Natsu stood up and went to look out the window. He reached up and clutched his scarf, looking confused again.

​ "Hey, Natsu?" Lucy said tentatively. He half turned around to look at her. "Why did you nickname me the queen?"

​ Natsu faced her and cocked his head. "Because you're the only girl in the guild, and you're more powerful than most of the other guys."

​ "Oh," Was all Lucy could say.

​ "Now it's my turn to say thank you," Natsu said.

​ "Huh?" Lucy said confused. "For what?"

​ "For a lot of things," Natsu said coming closer. "For using the key and leading me to the Heart. And for more than you could ever know or understand."

​ Natsu sat down on the bed in front of Lucy. She looked him in the eyes. He was being serious. Was he always so handsome? He reached up and placed his hand on the back of Lucy's head making her tense up. He leaned forward until his forehead was touching hers.

​ "Thank you," He whispered.

​ Lucy relaxed and closed her eyes. "You're welcome."