8/23/2017 + Prologue

This is my official 1st  published work after being on wattpad since 2014 (2012 on another account).  This story had settled into my brain for the looooooooongest time, and before now, I had never attempted to write it out. 

I would really appreciate comments, private messages, votes, etc from you wattpadians. I really want to get better at writing, so constructive criticism really helps! Voting helps! Commenting helps! 

Also, don't copy my work. It's sleazy, lazy, and it's punishable by law. 

I haven't deeply edited my work yet, so keep that in mind as you read. I'm only editing for surface errors right now (grammatical), but I'm not exactly a grammar queen or anything. Please bare with me!

________________________________________________

WARNING 

This book contains:

x A black female lead :)

x Physical abuse

x Emotional abuse

x Sexual assault 

________________________________________________  

 Summary: 

"She will be their undoing"

Lola is haunted by the brutal death of her mother and the gruesome murder of her sister. Just when she feels as if she is close to unraveling the mystery behind their death, her father uproots their broken family and moves them to his childhood home.

They can run, but they can't seem to escape their dark past as girls who resemble Lola begin to turn up missing. 

________________________________________________  

 Prologue: 

The frosty night air nipped at Lola's cherubic cheeks as her small hands clasped onto her mother and fathers. The petite child reveled in the crunch of the crisp autumn leaves and the distinct fragrance of pine and wood that clung onto the air. Through the tree's light foliage she could make out the starburst orange and salmon sky. 

Lola was young, but she understood that these were the moments that made life worth living. 

Her tiny legs struggled to match the pace of her mother and fathers. Her palm started to sweat as she practically ran to keep up with their hurried strides. Lyra is so stupid. Lola thought to herself, I get mommy and daddy all to myself! 

After what felt like eons to Lola, the trees started to grow sparse as they approached their camp site. Lola's avarice eyes drank in their location with earnest, this was the perfect place for camping! They were going to spend a whole evening in a secluded meadow. During springtime the meadow swelled with life as it conceived lush flowers of various pastel colors. Now, the grass was beige with patchy areas of dull green shades. 

"You girls pitch the tent! I'm going to get some firewood," Augustus started, but Lola injected. "Daddy I want to come too!" 

Augustus had one look at Lola's cow like eyes, and let out a huff before taking her hand.

Augustus and Lola's voices dissolved into laughter as they scavenged through the forest for firewood. 

Then Lola saw it. 

A lone red flower which had sprouted from the dry dead soil. It's coy petals curved upwards and seemed to dance along a light breeze. She tugged on her daddy's shirt, with her moon-like eyes planted on the magical flower. 

She had read about in her 3rd grade class, and she wanted to pluck the fertile red dahlia, and grow it at her home. Her daddy didn't notice Lola's eager tugging and pleas as he continued to whistle and and collect firewood. 

 They were walking further and further away from the lovely plant. She tugged harder against his jacket sleeve aggressively, "Wait a second honey the faster I finish this, the faster we can go back to mommy." her dad said brusquely. 

Lola's heart sunk in her small chest. "Daddy please!" she whined. If they continued, it would be gone, and who knows when the little girl would see a magical flower again? Suddenly an idea swept over Lola. She would  recover the dahlia and come back quickly, her daddy wouldn't even notice her absence, he barely paid any attention to her now. With this hopeful thought in her mind she silently and swiftly scurried toward the red dahlia, which was further than it once appeared. It won't matter, as long as I'm fast! She thought to herself. Lola bounded around logs, thick tree trunks, and tip toed around lumping piles of brittle leaves and twigs. As the flower got closer and closer her fathers calles seemed to get louder and more frantic. Soon her mother was pitching in, but their calls for Lola seemed to melt away as the plush red flower seemed to stretch in her direction.

Her little hands happily stretched towards the red dahlia and tugged at the healthy stem. 

"Lola honey where are you?" "

Baby! Babygirl come back right now!" 

The eight year old was surprised when the plant stubbornly wouldn't give. Lola didn't want to cut off the root because then the plant would die. Her trip would be for nothing. I hope they're not too mad. She thought. 

Lola could still hear her parents traipsing through the forest, and she anxiously dug her hands into the dead soil in a apprehensive attempt to pluck the flower. It was as if the ground didn't want to relinquish its treasure. 

"Almost done!" Lola cried out. The enticing flower started to give way. "I'm almost-"

"Lola honey, stand very still." She heard her mom say calmly. Lola didn't listen. She excitedly plucked the red dahlia and started to shake in excitement. "Look mommy!" 

"Lola." Her mom sharply bit out. "Sit. Still."

A prodigious silhouette stretched above Lola's compact figure, the little girl rose her small head in excitement. 

A  low growl caused Lola's delight to wither away until her happiness was the size of the dead leaves under her shoe. 

She let out a horrifying sharp scream that  pierced the air.