Chapter 1

A hook-nose, sallow skin man with dark brown eyes and jet-black shoulder-length hair, sat there with the other deatheaters. He was hunched over lost in thought. The man was Severus Snape. His dark eyes, with dark circles under his eyes, had a far away look to them. Snape had to tell Potter that he was a horcrux, and not only that, he had a hell of a lot of explaining to do as well. He only hoped that Potter would put his hatred aside to listen to him. Snape sighs quietly, truth be told, he no longer hated the boy. He stopped hating the boy after seeing a few snippets of the boy's childhood memories. Yes he was livid, when Potter saw that memory of him being humiliated by James and Sirius, and shouting that forbidden word to Lily, which in turn ruined their friendship, but he never stayed mad for too long. Not when he had to keep his mind occluded and a mission to complete. Especially when Voldemort looked into the mind of his deatheaters, including himself He did it at almost every meeting. Potter's childhood almost mimicked his own. Though his own was much worse. He will make sure Potter sees that. See that he was not the only one abused. A look of determination appeared in his eyes. He had to find him and now. Who knew how much time he had left on this earth. With a look of determination, he stands up and stretches. He puts his usual mask on his face and occludes his mind. Time is of the essence.

When Snape stood up to stretch, it in turn, caught Bellatrix's attention. Bellatrix sneers, "And where do you think you're going, Severus?! We are to stay here and wait for the Dark Lord!" Snape hisses at Bellatrix, "Don't you think I know that Bella!" Bellatrix just smirks at him. Snape smirks coldly back and said, "It just so happens, that Potter is at the school. I was going to get him and hand him over to the Dark Lord. Imagine how much he will reward me." Bellatrix snarls, "He said clearly that the boy was to come to him!" Snape's smirk widens, "Ah, Bella, I am his most trusted follower. He will make an acception, when it comes to me." Noone argued that point. They knew he was right. Even Bellatrix, though she looks as if she would curse him right then and there. She never did trust Snape. Snape smirks and thought, 'They were so easily fooled by his words.' Snape said, "Now, if you will excuse me, I need to find Potter." With that he turns on his heels and left. As he came out of the forest, he saw Hogwarts Castle. His home. He pulls out his wand and disillusions himself, turning himself into a human chameleon. He pockets his wand and resumes walking up to the castle. As he came closer, he sees that it was utter chaos. Witches and wizards firing curses and spells at each other, pieces of stones and bricks all over the ground. Broken windows everywhere. Dead bodies already littering the floor. He quickly pulls out his wand and starts aiming curses left and right hitting deatheaters as he passed. He quietly made it inside the castle and starts searching for Harry. He spots Harry going down a secret passage, fortunately for him, he knew a shortcut. He found a secret passage hidden in the wall and quickly went inside. He follows the narrow passage and stops by the other end of the wall. With his wand he taps the wall which opens. He looks out and spots Harry running in his direction, but not seeing him. In one quick fluid movement, he grabs Harry and pulls him into the passage covering the boy's mouth. He quickly hisses in his ear, "Calm down, Potter! If you do not wish to be caught!" Harry froze at hearing Snape's voice. Anger rising inside the boy. Snape quicky said, "I don't have much time, Potter. Will you please listen to me, just this once?! Put that hatred for me aside just this one time?!" Snape pauses then said, "You see, Dumbledore wants me to give you information. Information that will help you defeat the Dark Lord. Information that he has kept from the both of us. I only found out recently, towards the end of last year, Potter. I made him tell me..." That got the boy curious. He felt the boy relax slightly. Snape continues, "I promised him that I would relay the information to you when I found you. I always keep my promise. That's why I was looking for you when you set off the alarm in Hogsmeade, though the Carrows were thinking differently." Snape added bitterly. Harry remained frozen. Snape sighs and to Harry's surprise, he sounded somewhat defeated, "If you don't believe me, then you may use Legilimens on me. I will give you acces to all my memories, if that is what it will take for you to believe me." Snape heard Harry gasp in response. Snape said, "If I let you go, Potter, will you stay and not run away? Will you look at my memories and see that I am telling the truth? These memories will explain everything." Snape removes his hand from the boy's mouth, but keeps a strong hold on him in case he ran.

Harry stood there, still being held by Snape. His mind was racing, was Snape really willing to do that? To give him information he needed. If it helps defeat Voldemort, he would be forever grateful to Snape. Harry sighs, he might as well, Snape definitely sounded like he was telling the truth. Finally Harry said, "Ok, sir. I can use Legilimens on you right? You'll let me see your memories and everything?" Snape sighs, "Yes, Potter. I won't even defend myself." Harry nods, not sure on whether to trust him or not, but wanting the information was overiding that thought. Harry said, "Ok. I won't run or scream. I promise." Snape relaxes and lets go. He stands back and removes the Disillusionment Charm, then pockets his wand again. As he was doing this, Harry turns to face him. Wand out. Snape said calmly, but urgently, "I don't have much time, Potter. Look into my memories." Snape stands there, arms spread open slightly, waiting. Harry couldn't believe he was actually going to do this. Well, this is now or never. Harry raises his wand and points it at Snape, locking eyes with Snape. Green eyes boring into the dark brown. He saw Snape swallow, before saying, with conviction, "Legilimens!" Immediately he felt himself fall into Snape's memories. The first memory was of a very young Snape. No older than 8 getting beaten by a man, who interestingly, had a hook nose. Snape was in the fetal position while the man beat on him mercilessly. Harry could hear a woman screaming at him to stop. Before the man could round on her, the memory faded and another memory came into view. A young Snape, no older than 9 or 10, was hiding behind a bush, watching 2 girls playing on the swings. Though the brown-haired girl was arguing with her sister who had red hair. When Harry saw the green eyes of the red-haired girl, he gasps. That red-haired girl was his mother, Lily! Snape watched the red-haired girl greedily. His hair was longer than it should be, he wore a smock-like shirt, too short shorts and an overlarge coat. Lily's sister screamed, "Lily don't! Don't do it!" Lily didn't listen. Suddenly Lily jumped from the swings as the swing reached its arch, and flew, literally flew into the sky! Soon after, she landed lightly onto the ground. Her sister got off the swings and ran to her. She shouted, "Mummy told you not too! Mummy said you weren't allowed!" Lily laughs and said, "I'm fine, Tuney. Look at what else I can do." Lily picks up a flower from the very bush where Snape was hiding, and held it up for her sister to see. The flower on her palm began to open and close its petals, like a clam. Petunia shrieked, "Stop it!" Lily said, "It's not hurting you." Lily stops and throws the flower on the ground. Petunia said, "It's not right." As she watches the flower fall to the ground, she asked, her voice full of longing, "How did you do it?" Snape, who was listening behind the bush, couldn't contain himself any longer. He came out from behind the bush and said, "Isn't it obvious?" Petunia shrieked at his sudden appearance, though Lily stayed where she was. Lily said, "What's obvious?" Snape glances over to where Petunia was, lowered his voice and said, "I know what you are?" Lily said, "What do you mean?" Snape whispers, "You're.... You're a witch." Lily looks offensively at Snape and said, "That's not a very nice thing to say to somebody!" Lily turned and headed to her sister, which made Snape cry out, "No!" Snape ran after the girls, his coat flapping behind him, much like the cloak the adult Snape wore. Snape caught with them. The two sisters look at him with a look of disapproval on their faces. Snape said, "You are. You are a witch. I've been watching you for awhile. There's nothing wrong with that. My mum's one and I'm a wizard." Petunia laughs coldly, "Wizard! I know who you are! You're that Snape boy! They live down at Spinner's End by the river!" Petunia then asked, "Why have you been spying on us?" Snape looked uncomfortable as he said, "Haven't been spying. Wouldn't spy on you anyways. He spat, "You're a Muggle." Though Petunia didn't understand what the word Muggle meant, she understood Snape's tone. She grabs her sister and said, "Lily, come on. We're leaving!" Lily went with her sister, glaring at Snape all the while. Snape stood there, looking disappointed as he watch them leave. Apparently he's been planning this for awhile, but it ended up backfiring on him.