Chapter 11

Snape and Harry arrived at Hogwarts. Snape steps out of the fireplace as he enters his office. Harry stumbling in soon after. Snape spunned on his heels and grabbed Harry by his upper arm to keep him from falling. Harry mutters, "I will never get the hang of the landing." Snape chuckles, "You will eventually, Harry." Harry looks at Snape sheepishly. Snape said, "There's no need to feel embarrassed, Harry. Even I had trouble when I first started using the floo network." Harry smiles which Snape returns. Harry said, "I guess I better go. I still have a lot of studying to do if I'm going to be an auror." Snape said, "Be careful if your going to be an auror. It is a very dangerous profession." Harry smiles, "I know, Severus. I'll be careful. I promise." Snape smiles slightly, "Good. Off you go, Harry and good luck. Make your parents proud." Harry smiles, "I want to make you proud too, Severus." Snape smiles and pulls Harry into a hug. Harry hugs back. They stand there hugging for a few minutes before they let go of one another. Snape said, "Let me know if you succeed in becoming an auror. If you need any assistance in reaching that goal, please send me an owl and let me know. I will help in any way that I can." Harry smiles, "I will, Severus. Thank you." Snape smiles in return, "You're welcome, Harry." Harry smiles then goes to the fireplace. He grabs a handful of floo powder and throws it into the fireplace. The fire turns green. Harry waits a moment then enters the fireplace and turns to face Snape. He smiles and said, "I hope we meet again, sir." Snape smiles back and said, "We will, Harry. Until we meet again, Harry. Farewell." Harry smiles, "See you, Severus." Harry then said, nice and clear, "Number 12 Grimmauld Place." The green flames cosume him as he is whisked away. Snape smiles slightly, before turning on his heels and walking out of his office. He needed to talk to Minerva and tell her the results of the hearing. He made his way up to what used to be, Dumbledore's Office, but was now McGonagall's office. He reaches the Gargoyle, which concealed the moving spiral staircase. Snape said, "Dumbledore." The gargoyle moves aside, revealing the staircase. Snape steps onto the stairs and allows the staircase to move him up to the office. Once at the top, he went up to the door and grabs the brass door knocker which was in the shape of a Griffin. He knocks on the door and waits. McGonagalls voice was heard as she said, "Come in." Snape enters her office and walks up to her desk. McGonagall looks up at Snape, looking concerned, yet smiling as she spots the Order of Merlin around Snape's neck. She said, "Severus, how did the hearing go?" Snape looks at Dumbledore's Portrait, Dumbeldore was smiling at him as he too saw the Order of Merlin around his neck, but he also had a curious expression on his face. He was just as curious as McGonagall as to how the hearing went. Snape sat down in the chair and looked from McGonagall to Dumledore, before answering her question, "It went better than I expected, Minerva." McGonagall said, "Do tell." Snape said, "They had me take veritaserum. Of course, I gave the veritaserum to Kingsley to use on me. It was the strongest one I possessed. Arthur was there, he administered the veritaserum. It didn't take long for the veritaserum to take effect. Once I was under its influence, Kingsley started to question me. Asking me did I join the death eaters willingly, Why I killed, Dumbledore, " Snape nods to Dumbledore's portrait before continuing, "And what we did at the deatheater meetings I attended. He also asked what tasks the deatheaters were given by Voldemort. After he finished questioning me, he waited for the veritaserum to wear off. Which it did. Then he asked that I give him memories of those meetings as well as my past to understand, why I joined and why I swtiched sides. Once a pensieve was brought to me, I obeyed and gave him what he asked. The pensieve was brought up to him. I told him I wanted the memories back when he was finished. He told me he would give them back when the hearing was over. After a moment he went head first into the pensieve. I and everyone in the court room waited almost 20 minutes, before he rose out of the pensieve. He looked pale, I suppose he wasn't expecting to see what I gave to him." McGonagall looks surprised, yet impressed, "What did he say after viewing your memories in the pensieve?" Snape said, "He said he never knew I was abused by my father. He also saw the memory where Dumbledore had planned on having me kill him...He saw memories of Lily.....As well as the memories of the meetings I attended with the other death eaters. He saw all the memories I gave to him." McGonagall looked sympathetic at Snape as did Dumbledore in his portrait. McGonagall said, "I'm sure it wasn't easy reliving those memories, but I hope in doing so, that it has helped you in terms of moving on" Snape sighs, "Yes, it has. I am still learning to move on, I know I will with time. I have already forgiven myself for what I've done. I know that it wasn't my fault, but either way it was as good as my fault. Just as Sirius blamed himself for the death of Jame and Lily. I no longer hold any regret for what I've done, though the pain of losing Lily, will always remain. I will cope. I know I am not alone. I have you, "He nods at McGonagall, whose eyes were brimming with tears, "and you Albus, "He nods to Dumbledore's portraits, who nods in return, smiling as a few tears fell from his eyes, "I also have Harry, the only piece of Lily I have left. I will not lose him. Not if I can help it." Snape sighs and continues, "Kingsley had the wizengamont go into the pensieve to see for themselves. After 20 minutes they rose one at a time, from the pensieve, looking as pale as Kingsley was. Kingsley had them vote by a show of hands. He first asked whether I was guilty. Only a 1/4 raised their hands. Then he asked if I should be cleared of the charges. Over half raised their hands. Finally, He asked if the deatheaters were guilty of their crimes. Every single one of them raised their hands. I was cleared of all charges and the deatheaters were sentences to life in Azkaban, and were taken away." McGonagall looking relieved, said, "That is great news!" Snape smiles slightly, "Yes, most definitely. After the hearing Harry and I went up to his office. He awarded us both with the Order of Merlin 1st Class. The daily prophet reporters were there of course. By tomorrow Harry and I will make the front page. Kingsley returned my memories to me and bade us farewell." Dumbledore's portrait said, "I am so proud of you, Severus." Snape bows to him, clearly feeling touched, "Thank you, Albus. That means a lot to me." Snape looked at McGonagall and said, "What do you think of the hearing and this?" He gestures to the award. McGonagall said, "Congratulations, Severus on receiving that award. and I am please and relieved that you are free of all charges, but how do you feel about the award, Severus?" Snape still smiling, slightly, said, "I am pleased with it. To finally receive the recognition that I rightfully deserved, is a very good feeling. To know that what I did to redeem myself will be told for years to come, pleases me. It will show that not all Slytherin are evil or bad." McGonagall said, "I agree. I am very happy for you. I hope in years to come as students learn of what you've done, that it will bring all 4 houses together as one." Snape said, "I agree. I hope all 4 houses will unite as one and that the Slytherins will not feel like outsiders anymore." McGonagall and Dumbledore smiles at him in response.