Looking A Bit Green

Disclaimer: I would never kill off just one twin. So I definitely don't own Harry Potter.

~~~~~

Chapter 15

She was looking right at James. She saw the empty seat next to him then and her grey eyes brightened. Lily tried not to glare at her when she walked towards him. There was something in her behaviour that made Lily feel uncomfortable.

"Can I sit here?" she asked James, gesturing to the seat across Lily and next to him.

"Sure." he said, shifting to make space.

"Hello, James." Emmeline said.

"Um, hi." he said and went back to reading the Prophet. Lily might have laughed at his obliviousness if she wasn't fuming (the reason for which she still refused to acknowledge).

"What are you doing this weekend?" Emmeline asked. She casually picked up a piece of toast from the plate in front of her and looked back at James.

Lily tensed. She remembered Mcgonagall telling them that it is a Hogsmeade weekend.

"The usual." James said, "Hogsmeade. With the boys."

"Oh so you don't have a date?" she asked.

Lily wasn't sure if she had imagined it or not but she saw James's eyes move to her. But in a split second, he was looking back at Emmeline.

"No."

Emmeline let her toast fall into the plate and smiled.

"Would you like to go with me?" she asked.

James was clearly taken aback. He blinked and looked at Emmeline uncertainly for a moment.

"As a date?" he asked.

She nodded, smiling up at him. Lily's eyes narrowed. And she saw James look at her. This time she was sure she didn't imagine it. Her gaze dropped to her food. He turned away.

Say no.

But of course, telepathic conversations didn't work even in the Wizarding world.

"Sure. It'll be fun." he said.

Emmeline smiled brightly. "See you on Saturday, then."

Turning to her right, Lily saw Sirius frowning. He gave James a strange look. Lily didn't understand why but Sirius didn't seem happy about James going with Emmeline. She couldn't say she was feeling any different.

She tuned in to Marlene and Daisy's conversation to distract herself from such useless and unhealthy thoughts.

"You can't be serious." Marlene said, "A manticore is definitely more dangerous than an acromantula."

"Nope." Daisy replied, shaking her head, "Acromantula are scarier."

"A teeny weeny acromantula is nothing compared to the manticore." Marlene said, unwilling to change her mind.

"Teeny weeny?" Daisy asked, "Are you kidding me? They're huge."

"What do you think, Lily?" Marlene asked turning to face Lily.

"Acromantula." Lily said absentmindedly.

"Ha!" Daisy smiled victoriously, "See. I won."

Marlene rolled her eyes at both of them before she went back to inhaling the food on her plate.

Lily's mind was once again buzzing with thoughts. She started at the enchanted ceiling, not liking that venomous feeling building inside her.

Why do I care? Why is it bothering me? He has the perfect liberty to go with anyone he likes.