First Love

Disclaimer : You know what I don't own? You guessed that right. Harry Potter.

/unedited chapter (what a surprise!) /

~~~~~

Chapter 30

Lily stared at the slowly dying out fire in front of her. Everything felt tranquil and calm. Too calm in fact. The common room was empty save for a few sixth and seventh years staying for their late night study sessions.

Hearing the light pitter-patter of tiny paws, Lily looked up and saw Hazel running towards her. She picked up the small kitty and settled it next to her on the armchair. Hazel immediately cuddled to her side and Lily pet her head and sighed. She felt at peace strangely, for a person who had gone through way too much in a span of two days.

What Sirius had asked her before she left the hospital wing bothered her but she didn't give it much thought. Twisting a loose thread on the hem of her shirt, she tried to ignore it. Maybe she shouldn't have told Sirius.

"Lily."

Lily looked up and smiled at Peter.

"Did you see Sirius?" he asked.

Lily frowned. "He came to the hospital wing to talk to me. I didn't see him after that. Why? Is anything wrong?"

Peter shook his head. "Nothing. I was just wondering where he went. He usually comes back to the dorm by now."

Lily nodded. "Maybe he's with a girl."

"But I just saw Marlene." Peter said.

Lily's brows raised. "Marlene? He could be with another girl. Why would he be with Marlene?"

Peter smiled. Lily recognized it as the Marauder smile. The smile that hid a secret only the four of them shared. "You really don't know Sirius."

Lily was intrigued. The Marauders had been an enigma to her all these years. She had only gotten to know them recently. She could read James like a book now. And she knew a lot about Remus too. But Sirius and Peter still somehow remained out of her understanding's reach.

Just as she was about to ask Peter more about it, she heard the portrait hole open. James dragged himself into the common room, head bowed in what Lily assumed was exhaustion, hair wet from the shower. Remus was with him, looking just as unhappy as James.

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay here with you?" Remus asked James.

James shook his head. "You said you have homework to do. Don't leave that for tomorrow because of me. Go."

Remus stood reluctantly until he noticed Lily. He seemed to be saying something without actually saying. Lily nodded in understanding and Remus smiled, leaving James and going up the spiral stairs to the boys dorm. Peter followed him.

Lily stood up from the armchair she was sitting on, which happened to be James's favorite armchair near the fire, and moved to the couch, leaving the chair for James. Hazel curled up in front of the fireplace.

But instead of sitting on the chair Lily had vacated, James sat down next to her on the couch. He let his head fall back on to the backrest, eyes closed, shoulders slumped. His wet hair flopped onto his forehead, small rivulets of water drops running down the side of his face, dripping from his jaw and disappearing into the collar of his shirt. For a moment, Lily was absolutely mesmerized.

Until she realized that she was staring at him. But before she could look away, she saw James staring back at her.

"We lost the match." he said.