9: Origami

Dedicated to my porkies and kbebes. I miss you gerls! :)) (sweet ko talaguhh)

He choked back his tears as his gaze was fixed on the floor. He fiddled with the hem of his shirt and exhaled loudly. “I want her erased.” he said after a long pause.

A man who is sat across him looked up from the documents he was working on and looked at him intently. “Are you sure about this? Hindi na mai-uundo itong process na ‘to, Mr. Viceral.”

Tumango lang siya at pilit na ngumiti sa kausap. “This is the only way I know to forget her. I have to get on with my life, and I couldn’t do that kung mabubuhay ako sa alaala niya.”

He nodded in response. “Okay. I shall explain to you how this works. Basically, magkaka-induced lacunar amnesia ka. Selective amnesia. You have to tell me everything about her, gather everything, kahit papel man yan or tickets ng bus rides or movies na magkasama kayo, lahat ng bagay na associated sakanya and bring them here. Gamit lahat nang yun, we’ll create a map in your mind in which we will target your memories about her and erase them permanently.”

Yumuko siya at natagalan bago nakasagot. “Okay.”

“This can not be undone, Mr. Viceral. Once we start the procedure, you can never go back.”

Tumango lang ulit siya at tumayo na para umalis.

~

“Ito na ba lahat?” tanong ng doctor kinabukasan pagbalik ni Vice sa clinic.

“Oo.”

“Okay. So this conversation will be recorded. Just tell me everything about her, about the two of you. Tapos mamaya, lilipat tayo dun sa isang room at kakabitan ka namin ng wires sa ulo mo, then ipapakita ko isa isa sayo yung mga bagay na dinala mo at iisipin mo kung bakit yun significant sainyong dalawa, then we’ll map out everything. Once you get home, take this pill and sleep. Unlock your doors. I’ll send out a team to do the erasing, and when you wake up the next morning, it would be as if she did not exist. Shall we begin?”

Without waiting for his reply, binuksan na ng doktor ang tape recorder. “So, please tell me your name, and who you are here to erase.”

“Uhh, wait. Can I keep this? Kahit ito lang…”

“Yeah, sure. Pero gagmitin parin natin ‘to for the mapping. Hindi mo rin maaalala kung bakit yan importante sayo.”

“Okay.” huminga muna ng malalim si Vice at nagsimula nang magkwento. “My name is Jose Marie Viceral, and I am here to erase Ana Karylle Tatlonghari.”

~

Her long mahogany hair flowed in waves behind her, bouncing as she made her way towards the table at the corner of the restaurant like she owns the place. She did not fail to make each and every head turn to watch her and for their jaws to drop, but she didn’t care less. Her bright brown eyes were focused on one and only man whom she doesn’t even know but she would approach, anyway.

“Excuse me?” she said as she sat across him, catching him by surprise. He nodded in acknowledgement and flashed his dazzling and warm smile, but it did not falter the angry look on her face.

“Are you following me? Kasi isang linggo na kitang nakikita in different places, and I think hindi naman ito coincidence. Well, I believe hindi ito coincidence lang. What the hell do you want?” she managed to stay calm despite the accusations she’s throwing him, which made her more adorable than ever for him.

He offered his hand but she chose to ignore the gesture. Her gaze was still fixed at him.

“I’m Vice. Paano mo naman nasabing hindi lang ‘to coincidence? What if ikaw ang sumusunod sa akin, since nandun ka rin naman sa mga lugar kung nasaan ako.” and he laughed to irritate her even more.