-Chapter 17-

Its funny to think this place used to be home to me. The smell of century old books and leather, intertwined with the faintest smell of smoke and ash, curtesy of Fawkes. I used to sit in here, alone, with or without permission, eyes wurring over the pages of books filled with a thousand histories. I used to feel at home here.

Now I feel like an unwelcome guest. The room feels cold, though I'm trying to convince myself it's because of the time- An early 3 in the morning. The chairs no longer seem so welcoming, the books so readable. I feel like someone visiting a home no longer their own. I don't recognise some of the books.

Regardless, I still recognise him. He still has a grey beard and kind eyes, with a flicker of cheek in them under some lights. Now, however, he looks serious, stern. He doesn't look at me, he looks at Harry. He mutters something to one of the portraits about having Arthur found by the right people. I want him to look at me. Tell me what's wrong with Harry. With me.

He doesn't speak to either of us, and instead, he talks to McGonagall, and the Weasleys, and even the paintings hanging on the walls around us. I can feel Harry's anger, and I acknowledge it. I want to access it. Use it to scream at him. To ask him what he knows. Does he know about Umbridge? What she does? Does he care? He must know. He's smart. He would have some way to monitoring her. Perhaps a hidden portrait in her office.

Harry's growing harsher. Angrier. He's confused- I think that's why he's so angry. I slowly, carefully, reach my hand out to find his. When I do, he's the one who takes my hand. I'm standing slightly behind him, but he takes my hand and squeezes it despite the weird angle.

"LOOK AT ME" He yells. The humming in the room stops. "What's happening to me?" He sounds quiet. Scared. Like a little boy scared of the dark. Dumbledore stares at him. The room falls quiet. Breaking the silence, the door behind us opens, scraping against the stone floor. It's Snape. Dumbledore turns his attention away from Harry. I turn around, eyeing Snape. Severus. 

"You wished to see me, Headmaster?" Snape says calmly, before his eyes meet mine. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small bottle or clear liquid. He walks over to me, waiting expectantly for me to hold out my hand. When I do, he places it in my palm roughly. 

"I don't need any more," I say quietly. I know that it's the same tincture he gave me at the beginning of the year. 

"Did you see his dream?" I nod

"Then you do. You were meant to ask for a stronger dose if you were still connected. It's for your safety, Clara." He snaps, looking back up at Dumbledore. 

"Severus, I'm afraid we can't wait, not even until the morning. Otherwise, we'll all be vulnerable." 

Harry grits his teeth. I reach a hand down to take his firmly, my other hand on his arm. He glances at me but doesn't say anything. 

"Potter," Harry and I both turn to Snape. He sighs, "Harry Potter, with me" My grip tightens on Harry's arm. It's not just Harry. I'm coming too. 

"What about Clara?" Harry says. He doesn't want to go without me either. 

"We've been teaching her since she was very young. She's relatively safe. You, on the other hand, are a loose cannon. Come. Now." Snape takes Harry's arm and yanks him from me, leading him out of the room. 

I watch as the Weasleys disappear into the fireplace. I hug Ginny, who's been silently weeping since we got here. The twins nod at me. Ron gives me a thankful look. It only takes a minute for them all to vanish into the flames. Hermione has been watching me from where she stands by McGonagall. I don't know what to say. What to ask. Anything about the detentions will be suspicious. 

"What is Snape teaching Harry?" I snap, Dumbledore glances at McGonagall who leads Hermione out of the room. 

"Occlumency." He says simply. 

"Do you know what she does. Do you have any idea?" I ask, my voice wobbling. He doesn't answer. Fuming, I turn and push my way out of his office. I hate him. He's like my father. But I hate him. 

xxx

"How could they? He? Just talk to me like that. Like I'm a little kid. Like this doesn't matter." I murmur, 

I just had my second detention with Umbridge in Draco's presence, and he was, as per usual, asked to escort me out. We stopped by the bathroom to wash my back, but then made a bee line to our spot on the battlements, which is now covered in snow. It falls, slowly, quietly over us. I wish we could stay here. Become coated in white. It's so peaceful. 

"Maybe it's more complicated than you know," he murmurs, I give him a look. He raises his eyebrows, and hands, smiling. "Also, you still owe me a kiss," He smirks,

"Oh, I don't think I've told you yet, but you're officially invited to Christmas at the order. There are a few things I have to figure out, but all the same, you're invited."

I don't think I've ever seen him so happy. A huge grin spreads across his face, and he scoops me into a hug. I wince, feeling his hands on my back, but thankfully the solution has started to work and the pain is manageable. I press my face into his shoulder. 

"Thanks, so much, you have no idea- Whats the protocol? Do I need to bring anything? Food or- Or clothes- Do I need to buy gifts for everyone? You'll have to give me a list-" I pull back out of the hug and look up at his face. He looks excited. Terrified. Smiling from ear to ear. "Should I learn some of those Christmas carols everyone sings? Should I-"

I must be caught up in the moment. In his happiness. I mustn't be thinking straight. 

Because I stand up on my toes and kiss him. 

xxx

AAAHHHHH

See you next week, lovelies, 

Taylor xx