Prologue

It was a still, silent night on Privet Drive in the small village of Little Whinging, Surrey. The residents slept in their beds, completely unaware of the streetlights extinguishing and the three foreign figures walking down their seemingly ordinary street, stopping at Number Four.

Dumbledore set Harry down on the porch, wiping away a small tear before anyone could notice. He looked back to Hagrid, who was taking another mass of blankets out of the sidecar. "An' here," he said, handing the bundle to McGonagall. "Is little Isabelle." McGonagall rocked the stirring baby gently, lulling her back to sleep. "You-Know-Who spared her as well?" Hagrid shook his head. "As far as I can tell, he wanted ter kill both of em. But he must've tried ter curse Harry firs' because Isabelle doesn' have anything but some scratches. The curse bounced back an' finished off You-Know-Who."

Dumbledore sighed heavily. "Well, thank Godric that both of them survived." McGonagall looked at Dumbledore worriedly, glancing at the house. "Albus, where is Isabelle going to go? We cannot possibly put both children in this horrid house!" Dumbledore stared at the house for a moment, his eyes lingering on the quiet bundle of blankets on the doorstep. After a moment, he took Isabelle gently from McGonagall, taking care to not wake her. "I know someone who will take her in without question."

---

"No!"

Snape glared venomously at Dumbledore, his face still soaked with tears. "Severus, please. There is nowhere else for the girl to go." Snape wiped at his eyes, sitting up straighter in the high-backed chair. "You allow her to die, and then thrust her daughter onto me? Are you truly that insensitive?" Snape spat at Dumbledore. Dumbledore stood from the desk and moved around Snape. "Come, Severus. There's something you need to see."

The two men walked through the empty corridors of Hogwarts swiftly, glowing pumpkins still floating here and there. It was amazing to Dumbledore that around them, hundreds of students slept peacefully, completely unaware that You-Know-Who had been defeated at last, and by a tiny baby boy.

Dumbledore pushed open the door of the hospital wing, and the sound of a baby's cries hit them. "I've tried every spell and song I can think of Professor, she just won't fall asleep. She wants her mother." Madame Pomfrey said sadly, trying to rock the fussy little girl. 

Dumbledore took Isabelle from Madame Pomfrey and murmured to her quietly, trying to calm her as well. "She has no one, Severus. Sirius Black has disappeared, and we do not dare leave her with her aunt and uncle. You could be her family." Snape stared at him, his mouth slightly open but no words came out. Dumbledore smiled and placed Isabelle in Snape's arms, who began to protest slightly, but shut up when he heard Isabelle's cries cease. Her tiny face that was previously screwed up in a wail became peaceful and she stared up at Snape, waving her small hands. Snape's breath caught in his throat when he saw her eyes - a bright, brilliant green, just like her mother. "I will take care of her." Snape said in a quiet, broken voice, holding Isabelle tightly. 

Dumbledore smiled and led Snape out of the hospital wing. "The house elves will watch her while you teach, and Minerva is already creating small nursery spaces in your home and your private quarters here at Hogwarts." Snape stared at Dumbledore, eyebrows raised. "A bit presumptuous of you, no? Assuming I would take her in before even asking me?" Dumbledore smiled softly, placing his hand on Snape's shoulder. "I knew you would. She carries Lily's blood in her veins." 

Snape looked down the small baby girl, whose eyes were starting to close as she drifted off to sleep in his arms. He knew without a doubt that he would protect this child, and her brother, until his dying breath.

(A/N: Welcome to my new story! I've been writing and re-writing this one for a while, never really quite sure how to weave an entirely new character with her own storyline into such a well-established and intricate universe. All I can say is thank god that JK put so many Harry Potter writings on Pottermore. And thank YOU so much for reading, my lovelies! If you liked it, please add Our Little Secret to your library/reading list so you can get updated every time I post a new chapter, which will be every Monday! Also, feel free to check out my other story, a Harry Styles fic called Like The Fairytales. You can find it on my profile under my works! Love y'all!)