Chapter 4.

The castle was in a state of constant unrest. Although you couldn't see it, you could absolutely feel it. After Ron was attacked in the dormitories every student, especially the ones in Gryffindor, were afraid to walk the halls of Hogwarts. 

"How are you not afraid? He's a crazed mass murderer." Draco hissed through the bookshelves. I shrugged, flipping another page in my book and glancing up to meet his worried, gray eyes. 

We had decided to keep our relationship a secret for a while, not entirely sure how people would react to hearing that the Slytherin Prince was dating a Gryffindor, and not just any Gryffindor - Harry Potter's twin sister. So, our meetings or "dates" had to be reduced to this. Secret conversations in-between shelves of books and notes passed under classroom desks. I didn't know how long a relationship like ours could last, but so far, we had made it from the fall all the way to the end of the term. 

"I don't know. I just...I can't explain it. After everything that McGonagall said, I've got a feeling that he's not everything he seems to be. She said he was Harry's and my godfather, which means our parents must have trusted him. I don't feel like they would be friends with people who would betray their trust. I just don't." 

Draco looked around before walking into my aisle, standing in front of me. "You have a good heart, Isabelle. You trust way too easily." I stared up at him, a little confused. "So? That's a bad thing? Dad told me the best thing you can have in this world is a good heart." I said, and Draco chuckled. "For most people, yes it is. But in your situation, you need to be ruthless. You can't see how much danger you're actually in because you're convinced that there is something redeemable about this man." 

I shook my head, putting my book back on the shelf. "Everyone can be saved. Everyone can be redeemed. I refuse to believe otherwise." I leaned up and kissed Draco softly before he could speak again, catching him by surprise. "I need to go, it's getting late. See you tomorrow?" I said, giving him a quick hug. 

I left the library, deciding to ignore the warnings of Dumbledore about dementors once again and take a quick detour through the courtyard. The night air was chilly, even though it was the beginning of June. The subtle flap of wings brought me back around to reality, and I looked around in confusion. The sound was louder than any bird I had ever heard, and for a fleeting second, I thought there was a dragon loose around the castle. In front of me, I saw Buckbeak land with a clatter on the smooth stone ground, and my heart stopped when I saw the person riding on his back - Sirius Black. 

He slid off and began to walk over to me, and even though my body was telling me to yell, to run, to do anything, I stayed rooted to the spot. "Isabelle..." He said in a broken whisper. That whisper snapped me back to reality. 

"You're Sirius Black. You're wanted for murder." I said flatly. He flinched a little but nodded and I continued on. "They say that you knew my parents. That...that you're my godfather. That you knew where they were the night that Voldemort killed them. You betrayed them. Is that true?" I said, my voice shaking Sirius shook his head, his eyes broken. "It's not true. I loved them, Isabelle. Your dad was the brother I wished I had had instead of my own. Your mum was the sister I never got to have. But I never betrayed them. I could never. I would never put them in danger, or you and your brother. Please, believe me." He said pleadingly. 

I looked into his face, studying it carefully. His eyes, the thin line he had set his mouth into, the scars and grime from spending years locked in a prison for murders he said he had nothing to do with. Dad always told me that I was a good judge of character - that I could read people like a book. And now, standing in front of Sirius, I knew that he didn't reveal my mom and dad's location to Voldemort. I could see that Sirius had a good heart, despite what everyone was led to believe, and that he wouldn't hurt my family like that.