Chapter 2. (nsfw)

(trigger warning: violence)

"I heard about Elinor. I'm sorry, love." Draco murmured as we stirred our potions side by side.

I swallowed the lump that threatened to rise in my throat and grabbed his free hand in mine, giving him a small smile. "Thank you, Draco. No one has heard anything, but everyone that was taken from the train is presumed...presumed dead." I said, the words possessing a sort of heavy finality that hung over me like a cloud. Draco squeezed my hand and I sighed. For now, this was the best physical contact we could have safely. No one notices students holding hands under the desks, but they do notice student sneaking off in the middle of the night to have a little menage a trois.

"Excellent work, Miss Potter, as usual. Just like your mother in every way." Professor Slughorn said affectionately, walking past our desk. I smiled shyly up at him, the compliment a rare change of pace these days. "Thank you, sir." 

After a few more moments of silent work, the bell pierced the air, and everyone began to pack up their things reluctantly. Slughorn's class was something akin to heaven nowadays. He had always taken a liking to Harry and me and he obviously disagreed with the new policies set in place by the "teachers", as they liked to call themselves, but we knew who they were. Death Eater spies placed in the school by Pius Thicknesse who had been made Minister of Magic after Scrimgeour's death, under the direction of Voldemort to make sure no one rebelled.

"Meet me in the library after dinner. I miss you." Draco said covertly as we exited the classroom, following the crowds of students. I nodded and squeezed his hand quickly before hurrying ahead to join Neville and Shay for our Dark Arts lesson. No more Defense, just lessons on the Dark Arts and how glorious they are.

-------

The day dragged on for what seemed like forever. By the time I had finished dinner, I could feel my necklace begin to warm my skin and it was all I could do to walk calmly to the library. I slipped inside, surprised to see it so empty. Only a few students sat at the candlelit tables, poring over dusty old books. I walked casually through the shelves, smiling when I caught sight of Draco leaning against one, perusing a textbook with a bored expression on his handsome face. "Hey, mister," I said, smiling as I sauntered up. Draco looked up, grinning and pulling me into the shadows of the shelves, hugging me. "Hi, beautiful." He murmured, kissing my forehead. "Come on, I found a table for us."

We sat in a back corner of the library, pretending to be reading and taking notes, but kissing and nuzzling every chance we got. "Isabelle, I've got to ask you something," Draco said quietly as we broke apart for a moment. I nodded, smiling at him. "Alright, shoot," I said, biting my lip. Draco swallowed audibly and I started to become nervous. "Draco, please, just ask me," I said, trying to sound light-hearted. Draco grabbed my hand on the table and held it firmly, rubbing soothing circles into it with his thumb.

"I fell in love with you when I was 13 years old. You told me my pretty face couldn't make up for my horrid personality, and you called me a slimeball." I giggled and blushed slightly at the memory. We liked to joke that that was our first fight. "I'd never had a girl tell me off like that before. I liked it. I liked your spunk and attitude and fire. I wanted that. And I've had it for four years now, the best four years of my life so far. With this war and the battles, and the fact that everything is so uncertain, I want one certain thing." Draco said, smiling at me. 

He got out of his chair and knelt down before me, holding out a small box. "Isabelle Alice Potter, will you give me the honor of being your husband, and marry me?" Draco asked, his voice brimming with pride and love as he opened the box to reveal a gorgeous ring - a ruby as the center stone, flanked by two smaller, sparkling diamonds.