four

chapter 4

the twentieth of may, 2155

Nancy and I seek refuge from the crowded hallways in the bathroom. I'm on my third attempt to look decent today, and Nancy has yet to even look at herself in the mirror.

"Have you... told anyone what happened with Daniel except for me?" I ask as she sits on the counter beside the chrome sinks, her back leaning against the minty green wall. She hasn't been here at school much since she nearly vomited in the classroom, so I'm taking advantage of one of the few opportunities I get to talk to her.

"No," she shakes her head. The sound of careful commotion blurs behind the bathroom door as I dig into my purse. I pull out a lipstick, and I offer it to her.

"Here," I try, but she shakes her head, putting her hands in the pocket of her hoodie, which I didn't even know she owned.

"Have you talked to Daniel?" I question, because I have to know if she's even considering forgiving him or anything of the sort.

"He has tried calling me, but I didn't answer," she shrugs.

"Good, don't. Don't even go near him, Nancy." I clasp the lid of the lipstick back on, and I turn to her.

"Then what am I supposed to do, Lia?" she bursts suddenly, her voice breaking in frustration. I take a step towards her, and she covers her face with her hands.

"Am I just supposed to keep going?" she bellows into them, a glimpse of her tired eyes peeking through her fingers.

"Am I supposed to walk into this building every day, and sit behind him like nothing is wrong? I don't have another choice, do I?" She breaks down slowly, a rare tear falling from her chin. I look over at the door, making sure no one is able to hear us. I get close to her, surrounding her shivering body with mine.

"Shh, Nancy. I don't want to say this, but you can't do this here." I whisper. As she said the night that it happened, no one can find out.

"I was so sure... with him," she continues. She leans against me, sobbing into my shoulder.

"But now, Amelia! My ceremony is in five weeks! What am I supposed to do? I have to be claimed, a- and if Daniel is the only one who-"

"Nancy, you have to be quiet," I cut her off. I feel horrible for saying it, but if someone found out about it, she would get in trouble.

There have been close to no reports of men forcing themselves on females over the years. But that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, it means that few actually report it. It's technically illegal, but you would think it wasn't. The females who step forward are usually shamed and humiliated. That isn't even considering unclaimed females. No law applies then.

Females who go unclaimed on their ceremony lose all of their rights and are no longer recognized as human beings by the government. They can be murdered, and the perpetrator will face no charge.

"I know, I know, I know... But what am I supposed to do? I can't be claimed by him Lia, I just can't, I can't!" Her voice strains as she yells, her eyes frantically pointing in every direction. I have to calm her down.

"Nancy, you know as well as me that Daniel won't be the only one who stands up from that crowd."

"You'll get to choose," I encourage, but her eyes remain hopeless. I wipe her tears, making sure to get every drop. As her breath grows steady again, I take a step back. I grab the lipstick out of my bag, offering it to her for a second time. This time, she takes it - applying a semi-neat coat of red onto her lips after wiping her tears.