fifteen

chapter 15

the twenty-first of june, 2155

My head spins a thousand times around, a new thought intruding every second.

Where am I?

Who took me?

Why did they take me?

I haven't been able to see anything for hours, or at least what I think has been hours. The trunk of the car was huge, so I tried moving around to remove the bag on my head, but it's tied pretty tightly around my neck. My feet and hands were zip-locked, so any movement was limited.

For the first few seconds after the trunk was closed, I heard what I assume were gunshots being fired at the car. It must've been the security guards that rushed out of the arena. Thankfully, I wasn't hit.

The car ride was fast, jarring, and very loud. My head knocked against the floor of the trunk multiple times, which I now partly blame for my dizziness. Once the car stopped, I was carried outside. The daylight, though muted, allowed me to see through the bag. It was blurred, and I couldn't quite make it out, but I know it wasn't familiar. Considering the time it took to get here, I know I've never been anywhere near this place.

Whoever was carrying me, brought me inside. My head was pounding, so I didn't hear much, but I could make out a few voices. "Is that her?" One of them asked. "Take her downstairs, I'll be there shortly," said another. The zip-locks around my hands and ankles were clipped off once they put me here.

The room is tempered and damp, and I would be cold if it wasn't for Alden's blazer. Every minute or so, a drop of cold water lands on my leg, which is stretched out on the rugged stone floor. I haven't moved it, to have some sense of time.

But when I hear the door open, I immediately retract them, pressing them against my thighs.

"Amelia," a voice speaks, accompanied by careful footsteps towards me. I curl up against the corner of the room, my arms shivering as I wrap them around my legs.

"Hey, hey... there is no need to be afraid," the deep voice continues. It is throaty and hoarse, and in a way it feels familiar, but I'm positive I don't know the person talking. The footsteps stop midway into the room and I, if even possible, move further into the corner.

"I'm sorry about the way you were brought here."

"Who are you," my breath wheezes into the bag, heating up my face. Beads of sweat pour down from my forehead into my eyes, and I wince.

"I'm going to remove the bag now, Amelia. Just... Don't freak out," he cautions, and I hear a couple more footsteps approach me. I unfold my legs and kick in front of me, the palm of my right foot crashing into something stout--a leg.

"Ah!" he cries, and I hear him fall to the ground. It's followed by a strained groan, slowly melting into fast wheezes. Shit--why did I do that? I'm in a dungeon with a bag over my head, and I just kicked whoever is keeping me here and has complete control over me to the floor.

"Alright! I'm sorry, I won't touch you," the man breathes tentatively.

"Here, I'm going to throw you a small blade. Use it to cut through the knot around your neck, alright?" he instructs, and shortly after I feel a weighty object land on my lap. I hesitate for a second, contemplating whether or not I should do anything he says. My cold fingers drag down the skirt of my dress, and I gasp when I feel the sharp, cold blade near my knees. I want this thing off of my head. I find the handle and lift it carefully, surprised by the weight. It's heavier than the knifes I'm accustomed to.