five

chapter 5

the twenty-third of may, 2155

The contrasting colors of his lips seem almost unreal. They are a red-pink shade, and they glisten once he licks them. His eyes sport a shade of green I struggle to find a name for. More golden than emerald, but greener than hazel. I could wonder forever, but I decide not to.

"Hello Mr. Myles," I speak through the lump in my throat, nodding my head down.

"Alden!" Father interrupts the silence I had created around the two of us. Alden moves past me, offering his hand to Father. He shakes it, giving him a firm pat on the side of his shoulder.

"I'm glad you made it tonight!" Father says before turning back to the table.

"This is my new assistant, Alden Myles."

"This is my woman, Margaret," Father introduces him to Mother, who nods her head down, putting her hands behind her back. Claimed women don't greet men with their hands.

"My son Thomas," Father continues, and Thomas shakes his hand with a gentle smile.

"And my daughter Amelia," he mutters, limply pointing at me with his hand. Alden turns to me once more, his pursed lips warming my cheeks amid the sound of the crystal chandeliers.

"Yes, we've met," His deep voice causes tingles to spread up my neck, and I'm scared to touch his hand. Last time I did, I couldn't think about anything else for days.

So he got the job as the mayor's assistant, and that's why he's here. I can't say I'm surprised, but I wish I had known.

If I did, I would've at least tried to get out of going. I don't want to be stuck thinking about him for another week.

"Right, right..." Father says, glancing my direction.

"It's nice to see you again Amelia," His raspy voice causes my knees to tremble for a second as my palms become clammy. I discretely wipe it against the side of my dress before laying it before me, his hands wrapping around it seconds after. This greeting usually makes me feel small, but the way his eyes pour into mine somehow makes me feel significant.

"Uh..." I breathe out, without the intention of making noise.

"It's nice to see you too Alden- I mean m- Mister Myles," I fumble with my words, multiplying thoughts tangling in my mind. Dimples appear on his cheeks when he smiles slyly. He retracts his hands.

Father clears his throat, and his pale blue eyes are just wide enough to make me sit down in my seat again. Alden's stare remains on me until he joins Father, walking off into another conversation. As they turn their backs, his eyes find mine one last time before turning away completely.

Mother gives me a curious look. She looks me up and down, and I put my hand on my chest, worried that she might see how fast my heart is beating. My attention is drawn elsewhere when I catch the stare of a pair of black eyes from another table right ahead. They soon look somewhere else, and I have to squint for a few seconds to identify the man. He looks away immediately, pretending like he wasn't just eyeing me, and my curiosity peaks. I think I recognize him.

Martin.

Father introduced me to him at the beginning of the night. Hm.

He's talking on the phone, and I shouldn't think much of it, but even though he nods politely towards me, he grits his teeth once he looks away with a worried look on his face. He gets up from his chair and starts walking towards the exit, glancing over his shoulder at me a few times before disappearing into the dark.