six

chapter 6

the twenty-sixth of may, 2155

It's been around a month since the air around here ceased its crispy sting, and even though the sun is glistening onto me and the melting pavement, I feel cold.

The letter that is currently in the front pocket of my back-pack, has still not left my mind. I see the date and time wherever I look, and it is slowly but surely engraving itself onto my skin, it feels like. I keep peering at my wrist, savoring this time where Xander's initials aren't there.

Thomas walks ahead of me. We always walk together to school, because I need a male escort but for the past few years, we walk further and further apart.

Blinded by the brutal ray of sunlight, I raise my hand to shield my eyes. My shoes sink into the ground, the smell of fresh road-work absorbing into my lungs.

Building after building perfectly lines up down the street, sunlight bouncing from window to window. My sight slowly adjusts to the brightness, and the gray arena appears amidst the light fog.

The city arena is where ceremonies are held, which is twice a year. Since my birthday lands on graduation day, I will be part of the first ceremony held this year.

June twentieth is about one month away, and that arena will be filled with citizens, watching girl after girl becoming property in a matter of seconds. Sixty seconds is allotted to each female, which translates to sixty girls an hour. They stand on that stage for sixty seconds, hoping that someone will stand up from the crowd. And when no one does... it's painful to watch.

I have been to each ceremony ever held since my birth, with my Father sitting right beside me. He usually stays quiet, his eyes scorching holes wherever they land. I walk past this arena almost every day of my life, but now that I know that it's soon my turn to be claimed... Even looking at it drops a pit in my stomach.

I hurry through the streets and by the time I get to school, I'm reminded of the tight corset I wore last night. Deep breaths tug at my ribs, and I recoil from the pain as I step foot inside the building, already sweating off some of my makeup. I meet up with Nancy in the hallway, her shoes dragging against the floor with each step she takes.

"Nancy, hey," I try. She's probably still mad at me. I bump her lightly with my elbow, and to my surprise, she bumps me back.

"Are you feeling better?" I ask lightly, offering a gentle smile as I try to get some eye contact from her, but her view remains on the floor. She halts at the doorframe into the classroom, noticing the ugly stares without even looking up. Most of our classmates peer at her, up and down. I guess the commotion about her and Daniel haven't really died down from last week.

"Welcome to class, take your seat!" The teacher says as soon as he enters. I head towards my desk, and I lock eyes with Daniel on my way. His eyes are empty, totally devoid of emotion. As expected.

I sit down. The sharp sunlight reflects off of a desk near the windows, making me realize that something is off. I examine the room quickly, and as my eyes land on the desk from which the glare comes from, I apprehend what is missing.

Xander.

He's not in his seat. Come to think of it, I haven't seen him all day. Which is strange, as I usually find him constantly in the corner of my eye, staring at me from across the room. But not today. It may be the first day of school he has missed since transferring from Texas.

Something about it troubles me, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Between meeting Alden, listening to my Father's phone call last night, and now this...

Something just doesn't feel right.

It's quiet today. The birds are barely making any noise, which I don't appreciate. It leaves me alone with my thoughts, and that is the last thing I want. I'm uncomfortable and cold, the tempered air managing to give me chills. I tighten my cardigan around my body, and I head straight for the house as soon as the gates open.

I still feel guilty because of what happened with Nancy and the principal a couple of days ago. I just got so angry, because she didn't deserve people to treat her like that. I wanted to make them stop, and instead, I got her and myself in trouble. Luckily, the principal didn't call Father and told him what happened. I think that's because he wants the least possible amount of people to know about it.

I walk into the house and I browse through the letters I brought inside from the mailbox. I put them on the kitchen counter as there are none for me. Thomas passes me, picking up the stack of letters right away. I observe him for a second, and he appears strained. He puts them at the back of the stack one by one until he reaches the one addressed to him.

"What's wrong?" I ask as his shoulders lower, his mood visibly shifting.

"My friends all got a letter as well," He breathes, and my curiosity peaks. His fingers slide to separate his letter from the others, and he puts the rest on the kitchen counter.

"What is it about?" I ask, approaching him. He looks up at me, ripping the top off. He picks the piece of paper out, unfolding it as he looks at me.

"It's uhm... The military."

"What?" I blurt, immediately getting behind his shoulder to read with him.

DEPARTMENT OF DEFENCE

THOMAS SAYLE

RECRUITMENT SUMMONING

Thomas' breath hitches slightly, his body stiffening. My cheek barely touches the side of his arm, but I can still feel his pumping heartbeat.

I take a step to the side and look at him for a second--and he glances back at me. His eyes are just wide enough so that I see the entirety of his iris, and the blue in them somewhat blanches. I have never been the best at reading people, but I know this--he did not want that letter.

And why did he get it? He just turned seventeen in April. I thought recruitment was for males eighteen years of age and up.

"What is that?" Father's light voice is heard from behind me. He walks in between me and Thomas, picking the letter out of his hand.

"Ah! Congratulations, son." Father glees, giving him a pat on the back that almost knocks him over.

"Thank you," Thomas responds in a low voice, nodding his head.

"Did all of your friends get a letter as well?" I question. People are summoned for recruitment every year, but it's usually a low amount of people.

"Yeah, actually most of the guys in my grade got one," he notes, his voice reclining in volume with each word.

"How come you got summoned when you're only sevent-" I start to ask, before Father cuts me off.

"The military is increasing it's recruitment this year." He says lowly.

"But wh-"

"We can never be too safe, Amelia. Enough questions." He terminates the conversation, grabbing the rest of the letters sitting on the kitchen counter and walks into the living room. But before he leaves my sight behind the sliding glass doors, he halts.

"Oh! Amelia..." He begins as he turns around slowly.

"My assistant Alden asked permission to call on you, and I accepted his proposal."

My jaw almost falls open as he points at me with the stack of letters.

"He'll be here Friday, seven PM, to take you to dinner."

author's note

I hope you liked this chapter!

See you in the next one :)