eighteen

chapter 18

the twenty-fifth of june, 2155

Four rapid gunshots rip into the air, causing my left ear to ring. The targets--thick wooden plates carved into the shapes of men--lean back from the impact, and all of the four bullets shoot through the head, creating a gaping, splintered hole. Xander stands behind the line drawn in the grass, lowering his pistol. After the smoke clears, he offers it to me. I plan to step backward, but I'm soon at his side.

There are five targets of varying size, and I place myself ahead of the smallest one. The sound of gunshots takes me back to the parking lot of the arena for a moment, but I pull my mind back to focus on the gun. I feel powerful. No one can touch me with this tethered to my hand.

Xander watches me closely, rubbing his stubbled chin with his middle and index finger. I think he is trying to keep me entertained. His job was probably not only to get me here but to keep me here too. Ever since I got here he has constantly been around the corner, and I am glad he is here. I'm enjoying getting to know this laid back, sweet person I didn't see before.

I raise the heavy gun toward the target, but thoughts unhinge my aim. I can only go so long without thinking about my talk with Martin yesterday.

Martin has been a part of this group the entire time I've known him.

He spied on the government and warned other groups of raids issued by my Father.

I earned a score of only thirty-four, but Father changed it to ninety-three to have me claimed.

Finding out about these things has made me regret ever asking the questions, yet I still want to know one last thing. Why me? To find out 'soon' isn't good enough. I want to know right now. So far, things just don't add up. Why go through all this trouble to have me here? Is it because I'm the mayor's daughter?

It could be. But it's hard to find a reason as to why that would be kept a secret.

My teeth grit as my grip on the gun tightens, aiming it at the head of the target to the best of my ability. This isn't fair. Everything I knew has been nullified within a couple of days. My life has been stolen, and these people haven't even told me why. I swore to leave this place if I didn't get all the answers I wanted from the talk with Martin. And I didn't.

I fire the gun. The target ahead of me stays put as the bullet flies off into the woods behind it. The scent of wet grass mixes with smoke emitting from the barrel, and I fan it away with my hand as Xander laughs.

"That wasn't good," I say.

"Nope, but you'll get the hang of it. We can practice together after your classes," he says and I fire the gun again. Another miss.

I used to dream about a place like this. Where there was no exam, no etiquette class, no rules that separated me from the boys. A place where I could ask whatever question I wanted to, learn what I wanted to learn and be with someone without having their initials on my wrist. I'm here now. Ten-year-old me would've been thrilled.

But I'm not.

"If I told you I wanted to go home, what would happen?" I test, turning toward Xander.

"Uh," he exhales through thin lips, crossing his arms. "I would ask you why."

"I'd say that I don't feel safe here, and I'm tired of people not being honest with me."

I sit down on the stacked pallets behind me, placing the gun next to me.

"I would then try to explain that there's no reason to feel unsafe and that you'll have the whole truth soon."