12. Sagacity

chapter twelve || sagacity
Taylah's POV

"A-a Witch?" I spluttered.

My mother looked at me hesitantly.

"Yes."

Holy shivers.

I stared at her incredulously, unable to process her words. My gaze flickered to Adrianno's and I saw the surprise, fear and anxiousness swimming in his deep pools.

"So, she's half Witch and half Werewolf?" Adrianno asked, speaking for the first time in a while.

"Yes," my mother answered, wringing her hands together nervously.

I tensed and my eyes immediately snapped down to my shaking hands. What my mother said seemed to align, how we were on the run, why I can't remember my childhood, why my wolf was smaller and why I could heal faster. It all made sense yet my mind couldn't process that this was even real.

"Is she in immediate danger?" Adrianno asked, uncrossing his arms and walking closer towards us.

My mother took a deep breath and nodded her head slowly.

"Not only is she in danger from her father's chase, but a lot of other wolves who are against Hybrids."

"Okay, and what about any witches? Wolves we can deal with, we are all trained from a young age to prepare for a potential war. Defeating wolves is not a hard task. Witches on the other hand, we haven't encountered," Adrianno spoke thoughtfully.

"The witches were all good friends of Taylah's mother and therefore will automatically side with her. They will not harm her," my mom stated.

"What about the witch that caused the contraception?" I interrupted, my eyes flickering to my mother's.

"She's dead."

Oh.

I nodded my head in understanding. Thank gosh.

"But, that isn't to say Taylah will not come across a witch or a warlock who is against Hybrids. It may happen," my mother whispered as her eyes filled with tears.

My eyes shot to Adrianno only to see him seething in his spot. His fists were clenched by his side and his jaw locked tightly shut. His eyes were locked on my mother, anger seeping deep within his pools. I felt his emotions running wildly through our bond, racing from fear, anger and anxiousness.

I stood up from my position on the couch and hesitantly walked over to where Adrianno stood. He watched me through narrowed eyes, that were now glowing gold, as I walked slowly to him. His chest rumbled as he let out a loud growl and stalked towards me in long strides. As soon as he was standing right in front of me, he reached his arms around my waist and tugged me to his chest, burrowing his face in my hair.

"Adrianno," I whispered, leaning my forehead against his chest with a sigh.

"No. Guess again, mate," he spoke huskily.

I pulled back and stared into his flashing gold eyes that followed my every movement.

"Caden?"

"I told you I'd see you again, mate," he grinned, before gathering me back in his strong arms and taking in my scent.

I sighed in relief and burrowed my face into his muscular chest, inhaling his woodsy scent.

"I do not mean to intrude, but there is one more thing..." my mother trailed off, nibbling on her lip nervously.

I untangled myself from Adrianno's grip and sent my mother a questioning look.

"Your father has located you. He knows you're here, Taylah."