14. Regret

chapter fourteen || regret
Taylah's POV

I hummed under my breath as I whisked the eggs in the large bowl. Once done, I poured the mixture into the frying pan and got my spatula out, ready to flip some omelettes.

"Are you okay for me to leave, or would you like some more help?"

I glanced up at Jenny, one of the pack chefs, and shook my head at her.

"I'll be fine, you go off," I smiled at her, gesturing outside with my spatula. She smiled back gratefully before she took her apron off and skipped outside.

Today I had taken the initiative to cook breakfast for the higher ranked wolves as their meeting started bright and early. I offered my help to Jenny who gladly accepted and we bonded a heap over the course of whisking eggs. The young chef was just too sweet and really did deserve a break from all the hard work.

Once I had finished cooking all the omelettes, I placed them all on separate plates and made my way over to Adrianno's office, frowning when I reached the door because I couldn't knock due to my full hands. Just as I was about to mindlink Ryder, the door swing open and Laken stood their bouncing in his spot.

"Food. Food. Food." He chanted as he eyed out the omelettes in my hands. I giggled as he took a plate from my hand and sauntered back to his seat and immediately scoffed the whole thing down his throat at once.

"Have some manners, Laken," Adrianno glared warningly.

Laken swallowed his food before bowing his head.

"Of course, Alpha. Forgive me."

Adrianno looked over at me before gesturing for me to enter the office. Stepping inside, I walked towards the large table and laid a plate in front of Ryder who smiled up at me in thanks, and another in front of Atlas, the head warrior. I walked around the opposite side of the table and placed the last plate in front of my handsome mate. As I went to step back and walk out of the private meeting, a large, warm hand latched onto my slim wrist. I followed the tan arm and reached the stunning, cold eyes of my mate.

"Thank you," he spoke gently, before taking my hand to his lips and pressing a soft kiss to my burning skin. My breath caught in my throat at the look of total adoration in his eyes. I nodded slowly with a shaky smile before snatching my hand back and high tailing out of the room.

I darted up the spiral stairs and headed straight for my room, opening the door and shutting behind me as I flopped down onto my bed belly first.

"Goddess, why do you hate me?" I whispered as I rolled onto my back and stared at the ceiling.

"I don't think she does," a voice spoke from the entrance to my room.

I abruptly sat up and whipped my head around only to see a giddy looking Aiden standing in my doorway.

"Aiden!" I squealed, aggressively patting the empty space of bed beside me.

He giggled at my antics and wandered over to the side of my bed and sat beside me.

I shimmied across the bed and placed myself closely beside him.

"So?" I whistled.

"So...?" He replied mischievously.

I patiently waited for him to answer my unspoken question, because even though I never directly asked him, he knows exactly what I'm talking about. A few minutes passed in utter silence before I exploded.