one

∘◦ ☆ ◦∘

I had finally made it to the street where Edmund and his sister are staying. It wasn't a long walk, but it wasn't short either. Either way, I was starting to get a bit cold in the autumn air. 

I reached the correct house and walked up the paved path, being careful not to step on the grass or disturb the slightly wilting flowers. I reached the porch and took a deep breath, trying to get rid of my nerves.

Edmund had warned me that his cousin isn't the most polite individual and the last thing I want is to make a bad impression. I mustered up all of my courage and used the very expensive-looking gold lion door knocker, the sound echoing through the quiet street.

I waited a few seconds before I heard yelling on the other side of the door. I mentally debated if this was an appropriate time to be here, but the door opened before I could turn and leave.

A boy about my height with blonde hair and many freckles stood in the doorway. He looked a year or two younger than me. His top lip curled slightly while he looked at me, a distaste that made me shrink back a little at his stare.

"Who are you?" He asked quite snobbishly.

"My name is Dawn Gilden," I tried to recover, holding out my hand to shake his, but he just stared at it. At this point I was starting to get slightly uncomfortable, "I'm here to see Edmund. We're supposed to work on a school project together."

The boy's lip curled even more and I couldn't tell if he was disgusted by me, or if he just wasn't a fan of Edmund.

"Eustace Scrubb," He said bluntly.

I was slightly taken aback by his introduction and was starting to think that I was the problem. We stood there in silence for a couple of moments more. Again, I was considering asking if it was a bad time and leaving as quickly as possible.

Suddenly Edmund strolled into the entryway with a confused expression and I sighed in relief under my breath. A girl who I assumed was his sister appeared from behind him.

"Dawn, I didn't know you were here already," The girl said happily, coming straight over and taking the door from Eustace. She opened it wider and gestured for me to come in, "I hope Eustace was no trouble."

I laughed with a strained voice, coughing to cover my discomfort, "No trouble at all, I suppose."

I walked into the house slowly and smiled at Edmund who smiled back, his eyes dropping to the bag hanging on my arm, "I can take your coat and bag if you'd like."

"Sure, thank you," Slipping off my jacket, I handed him both and watched as he went off to put them away somewhere in another room.

"I'm Lucy, by the way," The girl said, holding out her hand. I smiled warmly at her and shook her hand with my own.

"Nice to meet you, Lucy. I'm Dawn," I greeted her, glancing around the house briefly.

Before anyone could say anything more, Edmund walked back into the room, "We can work at the kitchen table if you'd like."

"Whatever works for you, it's not my house," I laughed, making a move to follow him wherever he wishes to work. Edmund smiled and gestured for me to trail behind him, "Kitchen table it is then." 

We walked into the semi-small kitchen and Edmund pulled out a wooden chair from the large oak table for me. I thanked him, sat down, and crossed my legs under the table. 

Halfway through our working session, Lucy came in with the mail and sifted through it, finding a letter from her and Edmund's sister, Susan. She lead us up to her room to read the letter in a more private setting. I was sitting on her bed, leaning against the wall while Lucy read aloud.