𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑟𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛

∘◦ ☆ ◦∘

𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐎𝐍 the shore of the darkening island, I stood face to face with the dragon that swept up Edmund and whisked him away, although he brought him back, only to tell us that the dragon was Eustace.

"You have got to be joking. Is this even possible?" I questioned from my spot in the circle of people, staring at Eustace and how real he looked.

Edmund nodded his head, speaking in a low manner and pointed to the gold cuff around Eustace's large wrist, "He must have been tempted by the treasure."

"Anyone knows a dragon's treasure is enchanted," King Caspian scoffed, shifting his weight from foot to foot as Eustace the dragon gave him an annoyed look, "Well, anyone from here."

"Is there any way to change him back?" Lucy asked Drinian, who was stood beside her, in a hopeful voice.

The captain shook his head and gave the queen a look of pity, "Not that I know of."

Edmund huffed and smiled to himself, "Aunt Alberta will not be pleased."

Ignoring what Edmund said, Reepicheep scurried up to Eustace's head and stuck his thin sword into the sand, giving the dragon a guilty apology, "Sorry about the hand, old boy. I can be a little overzealous at times."

One of the crew members came running toward the group from the longboats, gesturing for us to follow him, "The boats are ready, Sire."

"We can't leave him alone," I commented with worry, Eustace may be annoying at times, but that is no reason to leave him to fend for himself.

"We can't bring him on board, Lady Dawn," The crew member mentioned, torn between what to do.

King Caspian stepped forward and turned to the captain, "Drinian, you and the others take one boat back. The rest of us will stay here till morning... and work out what to do."

"But you've no provisions, and no means... of staying warm, your Majesty," Drinian spoke, but was proven wrong when Eustace opened his mouth and blew a small blast of fire onto a stick laying around nearby, lighting it.

"You were saying?" Reepicheep sassed, giving Eustace a smile.

Sitting by myself with my back resting against a tall rock, I soaked in the peace of being alone for a while. My mind wasn't in the best place to talk to anyone at the moment, afraid that I would end up shouting or let a few tears slip.

Narnia was taking a toll out of me, both physically and mentally; so much has been going on recently that I just needed a second to sit and let myself feel sad so that I can jump right back into the absurd adventure I was brought into.

Resting my head back against the stone and closing my eyes, I listened to the conversations of people around me. That was until I could hear tentative footsteps making their way in my direction. I didn't bother looking at who it was and just let them sit beside me without saying a word.

"Dawn... Can I talk to you about what happened today?" The boy spoke and I could tell it was Edmund.

I let out a soft sigh and shook my head in defiance, "I thought you only wanted to talk to people with status. Go talk to your sister or something."

"You have to know that I wasn't in control of what I was saying then. The darkness, mist, whatever you want to call it, it made me say things." Edmund spoke softly, almost like he was scared to make me angry, which sparked a whole nother argument in me.