Fishing - Chapter One

// Welcome to the Deep Blue Sea AU! If you haven't already, I suggest reading some of (if not all) of this document for background: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14PVxMLLturB8tyIewZ0JIkPMazfdeGov57mkYeBHRwA/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks, and enjoy! \\

I was at work when I met him.

The sea gently swayed my tiny fishing canoe, the overwhelming smell of salt I had become accustomed to wafted through the air, as I sat, dreary eyed, and staring at the pitch black water. A gust chilled my bones, as I pulled my worn, red, jacket closer to my torso. The fishing line spiraled down into the deep dark depths of ocean hell. I held it loosely in my hands, only feeling the calm waves gently push the line ever so often.

I leaned, slowly, into the seat, and laid back on the plank. It made a sound of restraint as I did so, the old wood barely keeping steady underneath my weight. 

The stars I gazed upon dotted the sky, tiny bursts of light scattering across the dark midnight. These little white specks amazed and astounded my old, long dead, ancestors, hundreds of giant, burning, gas spheres watching over the human race for what seemed like an endless eternity. I never quite got that, being blown away by the constellations. Sure, there wasn't as much light pollution millions of years ago, and the moon is pretty interesting, but of all things to gawk at, you choose some white dots? Seriously?

I bring my hands to my head, and run my fingers through my hair. It was a nervous habit of mine, had been since middle school, and I had never really grown out of it. I eased my eyelids shut, heaviness seeping into them, and coaxing my work ethic into submission.

I took a final sip of the salty air, then sank into a cozy state of half consciousness. A faint, melodic, humming filled my ears, and dragged me down into the fullness of sleep.

-

The sun had just cracked dawn when I forced myself awake again. It sent spiraling oranges and yellows across the otherwise vacant blue sky, painting it like watercolor. I groaned, and propped myself up on my elbows. The fishing rod, along with the line, had disappeared, leaving only a tipped over can of bait.

I run a hand through my hair, sighing, and sitting up in full.

"Good morning, sailor," Chirped a voice to my right. I jerked my head up immediately, getting eye to eye with a stranger.

A man rested his arms and half of his torso nonchalantly on the brim of the canoe. And... Well. He was gorgeous. Absolutely stunning. Sharp facial features, a jaw line that could cut through metal, vibrant red hair, complementary freckles, and piercing, sea blue, eyes.

I opened my mouth, expecting something to come out, but nothing did. Is this how our ancestors felt when they first looked up at the night time skies?

"Well, don't just sit there with your mouth open," His voice was charming, flirtatious, "Talk to me."

When, again, nothing came out, he huffed.

"Okay, let's start simple. What's your name?" He cooed.

I ignored his question.

"Do you need help? You're kind of," I gestured vaguely to him, "halfway off the boat."

He gasped, "Oh, your accent! Where are you from?"

A beat of silence passed.

"You didn't answer the question," I said.

He responded, "You didn't answer mine."

"Fine," I caved so easily, "It's Tord."

"Charmed."

"Still, are you okay? Do you need to get on the boat?"

To this, he smirked, "I think I'm pretty accustomed to water."

I looked at him blankly, confused for a moment, until a tail, resembling a whale's but more magnificent, arose from the water. It was covered in scales that perfectly reflected the morning sun, drenched in sea, and glimmering with a brilliant violet.

A moment passed as I took it in, the stoic beauty.

It plunged back into the ocean, fading into transparency with the turquoise water. I looked back up at him.

"Who," I paused, "are you?"

He smiled, but not smug like a moment ago, this time with warmth and vividness.

"Matt."