Chapter 1- The Daughter of Water

Chapter 1-

My heart pounded as I raced to the water. I was in the woods that were parallel to the beach. The leaves of fall were crunching under my feet as I sprinted. I felt the ground shaking as the monster's huge feet pounded after me. Tears where streaked down my face as they always seemed to be when fate pulled me into these situations. I was just a kid, I couldn't do everything. My muscles screamed for rest. I slowed slightly as you do when you are exhausted. The water was just a quarter of a mile away. I could make it. I put on a burst of speed.

But the monster was faster than me. Hot searing pain raced down my back. I screamed. The thing had grabbed the back collar of my shirt. It had razor claws that must have torn apart my back. It yanked me backward sending me to the hard ground. I felt wet red liquid bathing my back in red. The monster stood over me with a evil grin. It held out a large scythe and walked slowly toward me. The monster was covered in a shadow so I couldn't see him clearly. I tried to get up but I was loosing to much blood. It raised it's huge hands to chop me apart with the scythe. He swung it down.

I woke with a start, sitting straight up, breathing hard. I look around expecting to see the monster. But I was still in the small shack. It was just a dream, I tell myself, but that doesn't help. I bring my hands to my face and cry. I was so scared. The dreams overwhelmed me with emotion because it reminded me that one day I would face a monster I couldn't beat. I sat in the silence just trying to get out my emotions. Almost every night I had these dreams. They tormented me almost as much as the real monsters did.

After getting the fear and tears out of my system I calmed down enough to dry my tears and get up. I walked over to my back pack which was hanging on the wall and slowly looked over the shack as I swung my pack across my back. It was one room with my sleeping bag in one corner and a small box next to it, which I used as a table. It was a bare shack, it had concrete floors and wooden walls with a matching roof. I had become hard, and cold like the shack. So much had had happened. But the shack was better then some of the places I had been in the past year. It was dry and kept out the wind. I was glad for it. Looking away I opened the door and headed out into the warm morning with my back pack.

The sun had hardly risen, giving the sky only a few rays of sunlight. I looked away from the sky and march up to the path I took to go the stream to wash. The sun was welcoming to me, it helped chase away my night terrors. Monsters always haunted me. In the Darkness was where they were outside of my dreams. When the sun was up that meant maybe, just maybe they wouldn't dare as much to attack me. They were always out to get me.

'People think I am crazy.' I thought to myself on a random topic. I had gone to a police station once. I had been chased by this huge thing with only one eye for about a week and plead with them to help me. They said they would if I told them what "this figment of your imagination" looked like. I explained it's appearance and some of it's very unusual features, like that it only had one eye, but they laughed at me and told me to go home. They called me a lunatic and then threatened to arrest me for being a minor on my own. I ran away from them. I never tried to talk to them again. Not only them, but I had gone into all sorts of places, safe houses, orphanages, even jails (yes, I was that desperate). But it was no use, the people there never helped. They would all call me crazy and cast me aside. Besides that, the monsters, no matter where I was, they always found me. It was like they could just sense my presence. Although it hadn't always been like this. I use to never be attacked by monsters and stuff. I had been normal once. Well as normal as anyone could be. But since then I didn't even know what normal was. I couldn't even explain to you what normal was anymore. I hadn't had anything near normal after that day...

"No!" I spoke aloud. I didn't want to think about that now. I didn't need to cry any more.

Continuing, I walked up the rugged path. I glanced back at what was my home. The shack was down in a small woods near the crashing waves of Tybee Island, Georgia. It faced the channel, where it was less populated. I had come down here when the authorities came after me for not being in a orphanage. I would have gone to one, if by doing so wouldn't have put every one else in danger. The shack was vacant when I hid there the first time. No one had come to tell me to leave, so I stayed.