Chapter 2- The Daughter of Water

Chapter Two-

The girl with the blonde hair came over to me. She held out her hand for me to shake.

"Hi, I am Annabeth Chase," She said, "What is your name?"

I reached up and shook her hand. She had a solid grip, but not a break-your-hand kind of grip, just solid.

"Lily, . . . Lily Mayflower," I said in answer. She smiled and looked at her companions expectantly for them to give their names.

"My name is Grover Underwood," said the skinny guy with the hooves.

"Your feet..." I said softly--looking down at his hooves in wonder. (I had a curious mind.) Grover chuckled a little.

"Yea," said the kid with the bronze sword, " What's wrong with them Grover? Did you dye them green again?" said the guy with the sword. It took me a moment to realize he was being really sarcastic and was trying to make fun of his friend. Annabeth laughed at the joke.

"I am a Satyr," he said, unperturbed by his friend's commentary, "I am half goat, half man," Grover explained.

My jaw dropped. I stared at him unable to think. It shouldn't have been that hard to believe since I had been attacked by mythical monsters almost every day for the past year. But it was incomprehensible. How could it be possible? Was he a monster? Were they all satyrs? Was it magic? No. Magic? I laughed at the thought. That just sounded childish. Magic wasn't real. Was it?

The other boy took out a pen cap and touched it to the tip of his sword. The sword immediately shrunk to the size of a pen. No, wait, it was a pen! He had changed a foot and a half long sword into a six inch plastic pen all by putting the cap to the end of his sword. I thought I was going crazy. My mind was in surrender that was magic, it had to be.

I rubbed my eyes to refocus them to make sure I wasn't dreaming. It still was true. He slipped his sword/pen into his pocket. Then he reached out his hand.

"My name is Percy Jackson." At that moment the ocean wind picked up. It sent us the smell of salt water and the sand. It ruffled the leaves of all the trees in the little clearing that we stood in. I shook his hand hesitantly.

"Wha-what are you people?" I said suspiciously eyeing them all.

"Percy and I are demigods, Grover is a satyr who helps demigods get to safety," Annabeth explained.

"Whoa...gods? What are you talking about? What the heck is a 'demigod'?" I started sounding panicky. Before I knew it, I was backing away from them, scared of what they might tell me. I had always feared any sort of mystical god or whatnot. If I ever spent time dwelling on the possibility of gods, I would get angry almost, that these "higher beings" or what ever might be out there, didn't care if I died or not. Or it sure didn't feel like it when you were running for your life from a huge monster. "Is he a monster that you keep as a pet or something!?" I point to Grover, whose face goes bright red.

"I am NOT a monster little girl!" he says almost yelling.

This stops me in my tracks. The fear I had dissipated. Did he just call me a little girl? I ask myself. I stop being shaky and hesitant. Firmly, I march over to him so we are only a few inches apart. He is tall, really tall. So I grab his shirt and tug it down so we are eye to eye.

"I have been through too much pain, suffering, and having to learn how to fend for myself; to be called something as low as "little girl." If you ever call me that again, it will be my personal goal to make you feel like a little girl," With that, I let go of his shirt roughly.

Grover then adjusted himself and scooted away from me. This was an effort to try and save what little dignity that wasn't stolen by a twelve year old girl. Annabeth nodded in approval and respect towards me. Percy was smiling amused by the whole scene.