Chapter 3- The Daughter of Water

ontinue chapter 3:

chapter 3:

"Remind me again why we are on the bus if you have your license?" Annabeth inquired of Percy.

The old, rickety ESPN bus turned a corner out of the town. It smelled like old food and smoke. Everything looked rusted and probably shouldn't have been on the road. The bus had been repurposed for longer stretches then just runs in the city.

We boarded the bus early that morning after combining our food sources for breakfast.

We had had a long conversation the night before. They had been talking about their camp and stuff, rebuilding things apparently, also what Grover had been doing. Apparently Grover was The Lord of the Wild. Or maybe I heard them wrong? I didn't remember. But he had some sort of all-important title or something. At that point I had zoned out. After going from talking to nobody, to being harassed with information and people, I just couldn't think straight. I had fallen asleep on my little sleeping bag. As I drifted into the world of dreams, I felt subconscious relief knowing people were with me that I didn't know I needed. I had no bad dreams last night.

Ripped from my day dreams by Annabeth and Percy, I was back in the bus. We had packed up that morning and were headed for Savannah to pick something up in that city. It wasn't far from Tybee Island, but we rode the bus any way.

It was actually the first time in a vehicle since . . . the accident. I was excited not to be walking.

"Because we don't have a car Annabeth. What? Did you want me to hot wire one or something?" Percy said to Annabeth.

I had a hunch that they were "together," but I wasn't sure. Annabeth and Percy were on edge this morning.

"No, I just am still angry that you let that monster drip poisonous acid all over the engine of the car back in Georgia ," Annabeth told him.

"Better the car then your girlfriend!" Percy replied. So they were together? It was hard to tell since they were yelling at eachother.

"Guys, come on, it doesn't matter," Grover said. They both shot him angry looks.

"Yea, plus I am just glad we aren't walking. You wouldn't believe how long it takes!" I say excitedly without taking my eyes off the window. I loved watching the trees and beaches roll by.

They stared at me like I had done something out of the ordinary. I turned and looked at them.

"What?" I ask.

"Nothing," Annabeth said. She looked like she had calmed down. Her voice was kinder. "You are just so, optimistic."

"Well. . .I like to think of it as, if you look at the bright side, then no situation can really be as bad as it seems." I looked back through the window, "my mom always said that if you always think about the negative aspects of life, you will never fully appreciate the good aspects. Although, I am not always optimistic, but I try to be."

Silence filled the group. The bus was mainly empty other than a few old men in the back. We sat in the first three or so rows. Grover and I sat together and Percy was sitting with Annabeth.

"She sounds like a good mother," Annabeth says.

"She was . . ." I say. Emotions well up in me threatening to send me into the depths of memories. Percy puts a caring hand on my shoulder.

"It will be okay, you're not alone anymore." he says. The others nod in agreement. I look at them and smile. I thought I was getting better at smiling.

"So . . .are you two. . ." I said to Annabeth and Percy, eager to change the subject.

"Together?" Annabeth inquired, "yes, we are." Then she smiled at Percy who beamed back at her. Couples were weird, I had decided. One minute at each other's throats, the next all lovey dovey, like I said weird.