Chapter 9- The Daughter of Water

I craned my neck as if it would make the Pegasus come faster. It wasn't there yet, but I knew it would be soon. There was something so magical about a Pegasus. The strength of an already powerful horse combined with wings that gave it the ability to soar over the land. It was a thrilling idea in itself. The fact that it was possibly real. . . I could hardly breathe. I wanted so badly to see it from behind the helm of the boat where I was looking for him.

"Blackjack is quite a character," Percy said walking up next to me. I heard a vibe in his voice telling me that something was up.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"You'll see. Have you ever been around horses?" Percy asks.

"No," I say. I had always wanted to but my competitive swimming always conflicted with it.

"Well, fortunately, Poseidon's kids are really good with horses. See, dad made the first horses so we have a special connection with them."

"Cool," I say in wonder, my mind beginning to explore the possibilities of what he meant.

"Yea," he agrees, I look back at him and just when my back is turned he looked to the sky and pointed, "There he is." my head snapped to look where he was pointing. He was right. There in the sky was a small black speck flying towards us. It flew as fast as the wind, only taking a minute to get close enough that I could I examine its dark black wings and hair. I thought about how majestic he was. I watched his muscles ripple under his skin. It was quite a sight. Before I knew it, his hooves were clomping onto the deck.

Yo boss, a new voice echoed in my mind.

"Hey Blackjack, thanks for coming," Percy said aloud.

"He talks?!?" I say aloud, a huge grin of curiosity took over my face. The Pegasus looked at me and cocked its head.

Whoa, dude, you got a sister! That's awesome! Said the Pegasus in my mind, I am Blackjack.

"My name's Lily," I said in awe to BlackJack before turning to Percy and asking, "Do all animals talk?"

Whoa, Blackjack said moving back a bit, I am no animal, I am a live, magical, flying, weapon of mass destruction, he said with a huff in my mind. Percy Chuckled.

"I need that on a t-shirt," Leo yelled at us from the helm, laughing.

"No, but we can talk to fish and horses." Percy said answering my question.

"That is SO cool!!!" I say.

You know it Little Miss, Blackjack confirms.

"So BlackJack, we are on a rescue mission. We are going to rescue Calypso from her island. Since we needed the best Pegasus for the mission of course we choose you," Percy said becoming focused.

Aw thanks Boss, BlackJack said.

"Annabeth didn't want to risk sending for more than one Pegasus. She said something about drawing too much attention." Percy continued, "Do you think you can carry Lily, Annabeth, and Calypso?" BlackJack looked me up and down.

Yea Boss, I can carry three small girls, Blackjack said in my mind.

Percy looked relieved.

"Great, as soon as the island comes into view we will get you ready to go," Percy said.

Sounds good, the Pegasus told us.

"Can I ride him?" I asked, even to my ears I sounded like a little kid begging to ride a pony.

"Sure, It would be good for you to get comfortable riding him," Percy said. I smiled, giddy with excitement.