Chapter 7

The room of requirement. Possibly the best thing to happen to Dumbledore's Army. it was a place they could practice and no one would see or hear them. It was a place just for them. 

"Relax and don't flourish too much," Cassie said to Ben as she tried to teach him how to disarm. He sighed in frustration, then tried again. He managed to disarm their magical prop. "Yes! See, I knew you could do it!"

Ben smiled, then looked at her and said, "It's because I've got the best teacher." He was going to kiss her, but everyone in line behind him started shouting to get a move on. He went over to Harry's line, which was the next step in their disarming lesson. 

The line hadn't moved yet because Neville couldn't seem to get the spell right. Eventually, Harry moved him to the back of the line and things moved a little quicker. 

The time eventually came when Harry and Cassie were going to let their students practice spells on them. Harry had everyone gather around and picked Nigel out of the crowd to go against him. Needless to say, Harry got knocked back on his ass, making Cassie laugh out loud. 

Next was Hermione and Ron. Obviously, Ron got the same treatment with being knocked back from the spell. All of the girls flocked to Hermione, giggling at Ron. Ron's face was redder than his hair. 

When it came time for Cassie to step up and demonstrate, she chose Ben to join her. "Don't worry, babe," she told him, "I'll take it easy on you." He laughed, then said, "Do your worst, Potter."

She gave him a sly smirk, then said, "Expelliarmus!" The spell shot towards him, then hit him and made him fly back on to the ground. He groaned, but then quickly got up and said, "Expelliarmus!"

The spell fell towards her, but she simply swished her wand when it got to her and it was suddenly flying back towards Ben. Before he knew it, he was on the ground again. "Looks like you need to practice more," Cassie cheekily said while Ben stayed groaning on the ground.

"Do you know how sexy you are when you teach?" Ben asked in Cassie's ear as they walked back to the common room. "Even when I kick your ass?" She asked, making Ben tickle her. She laughed, then lightly pushed him away. It's a good thing she did, too, because Umbridge came around the corner. The smug smile she gave them made Cassie roll her eyes. 

When it came time to be in her class, Cassie was grateful that she was talked into teaching defensive spells because they weren't learning anything. They simply just wrote down sentences over and over again. Each time they were in that class, she wanted to get back to the Room of Requirement and show everyone what they were missing!

During the next few weeks, when it came time to teach, Ben saw a change in Cassie. She was acting...different. It's like she was walking taller with more pep in her step. He was happy to see her this way, but was also upset at the fact that it's like he didn't exist most days. It's almost like she kept him around just to say she had a boyfriend. 

He hardly felt like he was. 

He stood back and watched as people flocked to her with parchment wanting autographs or to ask several questions about a spell they were learning. Many people still didn't believe her or Harry about Voldemort, but the ones who did seemed to be more confident in showing it. 

Ben hated himself for thinking how much easier things were when no one believed them...when she had no one to turn to but him. 

"Did you hear me?" Ben asked her one day after class. Cassie quickly shook her head and asked, "Sorry? No, I didn't." He looked at her with a bit of worry, but said, "I asked what you were doing for Christmas. I know mum and dad are anxious to see us."

She walked up to the Room of Requirement with him and, while they waited for it to appear, she said, "Actually, Sirius invited my parents to spend it at the Order's house. Sorry, I meant to tell you, I just have a lot on my mind."

He was clearly saddened by this news, as this will be their first Christmas without each other, but she didn't catch it. She walked into the room and started setting it up. "Am I ever on your mind?" Ben asked. 

She looked at him curiously and asked, "What kind of question is that?" He walked up to her and said, "A serious one. Cass, I feel like I'm becoming less and less of a priority to you. I know I don't come first, or even second, but I refuse to become last. This isn't like before when Voldemort was in your head all the time, this is just you changing. You're different."

Cassie wasn't entirely sure what to say about that. "How...how am I changing? And why haven't you said anything about it before because it's clearly bothering you." He let out a deep sigh, then said, "I wasn't sure when or how to tell you. Your excuse all the time now is that there's something on your mind. You've gotten better at telling me what, but I still feel locked out."

"Cassie, baby, I love you, but sometimes...sometimes I think that all of this is getting to your head. Your new found fame, people praising your abilities, people just finding out how brilliant you are and expressing it. For the past few weeks, I've stood back and watch you ignore me while people flock to you now that they believe you are Harry about Voldemort. I don't think I can keep going on like that."

With tears in her eyes, she asked, "Going on like what?" He sighed and gave her a sad look. "Like the boyfriend of the Lost Potter. I miss being the boyfriend of Cassie Hansen." She crossed her arms and let tears run down her face. 

Very slowly, he approached her and pressed a kiss to her head. Cassie closed her eyes and let out a shaky breath. "Ben...Ben, I'm sorry--." She opened her eyes, but he was gone. He left her. "Oh, hell no...Ben!" She stormed out of the room and saw him just about to round the corner of the hall. 

"Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch!" She angrily called. He immediately stopped and turned to her. As she charged up to him, she scoffed, "You don't get to just walk away!" He opened his mouth to say something, but she said, "No, no, no you've done enough talking!"

He shut his mouth and she continued, "I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry for ignoring you. You're right about that. I'm not sorry for changing. I have never felt more confident, more free of doubts and stress. I'm changing for the better. I'm stronger. You may miss the old me, but I sure as hell don't. I'll stop ignoring you, you can ask me to do that...but do not ask me to become weak and scared again just so you can feel the need to protect me. I don't need it. If you can't be with a strong, confident girl, Ben...then you can't be with me."

She turned and started to walk back to the Room of Requirement. "Cassie!" Ben called. "Cassie, I didn't realize! I'm sorry!" She went into the room and stood there alone. When she could hear it start to appear from he outside and the door open, she said, "I don't want to hear it, Benedict." She heard footsteps come up from behind her and a voice say, "Not Benedict."

She quickly spun around and saw Harry. The moment she saw him, she started crying. He immediately pulled her into a hug. "What happened?" He asked. "I heard you and Ben having a row, so I stayed back for a few minutes."

She buried her face into his shoulder and let out some staggering breaths. "I think...I think we just broke up." Saying that seemed to make her cry even harder. Harry gently shushed her and kept saying, "It's alright...it's going to be okay."

What in the hell happened to them being forever?