Chapter 9

The silence was unbearable. Not only to Ben and Cassie, but their friends as well. Cassie never read Ben's letter and he knew that, even though she hasn't said anything. It was obvious each of them wanted to talk, but they were the most stubborn people in Hogwarts. 

"Talk to her," Tom begged as they walked only a few feet behind Cassie, Hermione and Ginny. "You're making us all miserable," Martin told him. Amanda added, "Martin and I got through this all the time. Honestly, talk to her and it'll all be fine."

Ben sighed and shook his head. "I messed up," he told them. "I saw her becoming stronger, more independent and I shut her down for it. I was a complete dick." He kept watching her as she laughed with the girls. "I'd do anything to make this right," he sighed. 

"Mr. Cumberbatch," that annoying voice, belonging to Umbridge called. Ben sighed and turned to her as she said, "Come with me."

**

"Expecto Patronum!" Cassie's wand let out a blue and white streak that soon turned into a Sparrow Hawk that flew around the room. Everyone gasped in awe, then Harry demonstrated his. Once both of their's disappeared, he asked, "Ready to try?"

The entire day was taken up by helping people produce the patronus charm. Harry and Cassie walked around the room, encouraging everyone to think of their happiest memory. That's all they could do.

As Cassie walked past Hermione, she saw her produce a charm, as did Rom. When she saw Neville...well...that was something she opted to avoid. "You guys are doing so well!" She said. Harry added, "She's right, this is very advanced stuff guys and you're doing so good!"

"There you go, Luna!" Cassie said with a laugh as her rabbit patronus hopped all over the room. Cassie had never felt so proud of this group. 

Unfortunately, the fun was soon gone. There was a deep rumbling from all around the room. Cassie took out her wand in defense and started looking around. She found the noise was coming from the door. Just as she approached it, a small hole was blown through to see Umbridge pointing her wand at them. 

"I'll make short work of this," she told them. "Bombarda Maxima." Harry pulled himself and Cassie back just in time for the entire door to explode. Once the dust cleared, they saw Unbridge and her band of misfits--aka the Inquisitorial Squad. Cassie gasped when Malfoy came into view holding a worn looking Ben up by his robes. 

Ben's tired eyes trailed slowly to Cassie's and he weakly mouthed, "I'm sorry."

**

To be unwillingly dragged to Dumbledore's office by two of the biggest oafs in Hogwarts was not how Cassie imagined today. Her and Harry tried to fight off Crabbe and Goyle, but they were too strong. Ben, on the other hand, was only being dragged because he was too weak to walk. 

Cassie knew he didn't willingly tell them. He couldn't have. He would never hurt her in that way, would never jeopardize her time at Hogwarts. Besides, just the way he looked was telling her so. 

When they reached Dumbledore's office, several staff from the Ministry were there, including Fudge himself. That just made Cassie even more nervous. What if they all get sent to Azkaban? Is that even legal? Can that happen?

Apparently not...because all of the blame was on Dumbledore. Their sign up sheet was labeled as "Dumbledore's Army" so of course they would think it would be his idea. So, he was the one sentenced to Azkaban. 

Cassie doesn't know what's worse; the fact that no matter how many times her or Harry tried to defend him, Fudge didn't believe it, or that Dumbledore accepted the blame. Of course, he wasn't going to Azkaban that easily. Everyone in that room should have known that, but when he bursted into flames and disappeared...it was still a shock.

"You both," Umbridge said sharply to the twins, "everyone on this list is getting detention, but you two get double. The only person who is exempt is Mr. Cumberbatch for his loyalty and integrity to myself, the ministry and the school. 

Cassie rolled her eyes at that one. 

"Please escort the Potter's and Mr. Cumberbatch to their common room," Fudge ordered. All three of them were harshly pushed out of the office and forced to walk quickly to the common room. Once they were inside, the door closed and several eyes were on them. 

Neville, who was sitting anxiously next to Ginny, stood up and asked, "What's happening?" Harry and Cassie looked to each other, then back to them. "We've all got detention with Umbridge," Harry told them. "That's all we know of right now." Seamus was the next one to say, "I 'eard Cumbers is gettin' off easy fer bein' a trader."

Cassie looked to Ben as the room angrily murmured. He put his head down in shame and let out a painful sigh. Cassie started to reach for him, but he quickly walked away before she could. He went through the crowd of angry Gryffindor's while getting shoved by most of them; until he got to the dormitory and slammed the door.

Hermione made eye  contact with Cassie and gave her a pleading look. Cassie nodded and started walking through the crowd. They made her a path as if she were royalty. All eyes were on her as she went up to the boy's dormitory. She softly knocked and said, "Ben...Ben it's me."

She waited long enough to think he wasn't going to answer her. After several minutes, she started to walk away, but then heard the door creak. When she turned around, she saw Ben standing there with red eyes and a look of misery on his face. 

"Ben," she whispered. He looked to the floor and closed his eyes. Cassie slowly went up to him and held his face in her hands. "Look at me," she told him. He let out a painful sigh, but looked at her. "What did she do to you?" She asked. He slowly and painfully shook his head. "I don't remember," he croaked out. 

His eyes started to water up with tears as he said, "I'm sorry. I am so sorry." She quickly brought his face to her neck and held him as he cried. His arms went tightly around her and she ran her fingers through his hair. 

"It's not your fault," she told him. "I believe you."