Chapter 10

Things have been absolute misery since Dumbledore left Hogwarts. Umbridge became Headmistress and made it her goal to make everyone miserable, especially the Potter's. 

The only good thing that's happened is Ben and Cassie started talking again. Cassie was the only one who spoke to him, despite people suspecting what really happened with Umbridge slipping him truth serum. 

For some reason, they just saw the downfall of Hogwarts to be all his fault. Cassie couldn't help but feel awful for him, especially after he got beat up by a bunch of Slytherins for really no reason. When it that was informed to Umbridge, she simply snickered. 

"Hold still," Cassie told him as he flinched away from the wet cloth she was trying to use to clean his cut lip. He hissed when she dabbed it on the cut. "I don't understand why no one believes me," he whined. 

Cassie put the cloth on a cut on his head and told him, "Because they need a reason as to why this is happening and you're the only one they have. Just give it time." She set the cloth down, then said, "There. You should be okay in a few hours, just get some rest. I have to go or I'll be late for detention."

She started getting up from the couch when he grabbed her hand. "Thank you," he told her. She gave him a small smile, then left. 

This detention was her third for this punishment and with everyone who was on that list. Truthfully, her hand was so numb, it didn't hurt when more words were carved into it. She could see everyone else in near excruciating pain. 

When it was over, everyone left slowly and with pained expressions. When she walked outside, she Ben was waiting for her while being pushed and shoved by everyone walking past him. "Ben," she said, "what are you doing?"

"I want to talk," he told her. She didn't know what he wanted to talk about, as they've been doing plenty of that lately, but followed him anyways. They walked outside towards the forbidden forest. Once they got to a spot where it was just a view of Hogwarts, they sat down. 

Ben took a deep breath, then started wringing his hands together nervously.  "Cassie, I...I just want to apologize. That day we had our fight, I was completely out of line and with the way I just left you..." He let out a deep breath, then continued, "...I hate myself for all of it. You were right about everything. You are becoming so strong and so independent and I don't know why I saw it as a bad thing because it's wonderful. I'm sorry, Cass, I really am."

He took her hand and put it on his lap. "Cassie, I want to get back together. I miss you, baby. While I'm grateful for the way we've been talking lately, I miss my girlfriend. I miss kissing you and holding you, having you against my side as he walk to class. I love you too damn much to just let go or give up. I understand if you need time to think on it, I just wanted you to know how I feel."

Keeping her hand in his lap, he gave it a small squeeze. "Ben," she said, "I love you. I love you more than anything in this world. What you said, it hurt. I never thought that you of all people would do that to me."

He shut his eyes and squeezed her hand even tighter. She continued, "With that being said, I know I hurt you, too, by ignoring you. I'm sorry for that. I think we both messed up...and I think we can both learn and move on from it." Ben's eyes suddenly shot open.

"Really?" He asked. She nodded and he brought her in for a hug. "Oh, sweetheart, thank you," he said. She hugged him around his waist and held him tight. "Ben?" She asked. "Yes, love?" He asked. She looked up at him with her big blue eyes and asked, "Will you kiss me?"

He chuckled and cupped her face in his large hands. "You never need to ask," he told her before leaning down and giving her a passionate kiss. He weaved his fingers through her hair and softly scrunched it in his hand. "Thank you," he said when he pulled away. "Thank you for forgiving me." She ran his hand down his face and said, "Thank you for forgiving me."

"Always, my love."

After sending several minutes laying back on the grass and making out like the teenagers they were, they walked back into the school with their hands laced tightly together. They met up with Harry, Hermione, Ron, Tom, Martin, and Amanda in the Great Hall. "Yeah!" Tom shouted when he saw the couple walk in. 

Every head turned, including those who hated Ben at the moment. Those people were the most shocked about seeing them together. Nobody else cared and went about eating their lunch. 

"Thank God," Martin sighed. "That was the longest month of our lives!" Ron, who had a mouth full of chicken said, "I'll say." Hermione elbowed him, then said, "We're really glad you two are back to normal."

Ben smiled at Cassie and said, "So are we." He kissed her knuckles,then went on to eat. The conversation flowed like it normally would, unlike this past month. There were talks of classes, homework and, of course, Umbridge. 

"With Dumbledore gone, she'll take over the entire school," Hermione lowly said. "She's already done this much, I can't imagine how much more she'll dare to do." They looked around to make sure no one was listening. 

"There's nothing we can do about it," Cassie told her. "Unless we find Dumbledore...there's nothing."