05 | Cousins Day

••••••

••••••

It was the fourth Hogsmeade trip of the year which meant one thing: Cousins Day. Today was the day that Dean and Nia got together, shut everyone out, and enjoyed the presence of each other, family. It started last year when Nia realized that because of their house separations they never really talked to each other, and then it grew to become a tradition. Justin and Seamus always protested (read: whined over) Cousins Day, but they were ignored.

Nia and Dean always followed tradition when it came to cousins day too. First, right before breakfast, they would meet in a common room (it was Nia's turn to pick this time), listen to music, plan out the shops they would go to, and where they would meet. This time they were going to meet in the Gryffindor Common room.

Two days ago, Nia's older brother Anthony had sent her two of the things she had been waiting on since school started. The new TLC album, and with it a portable CD player. He wrote and said that they had been out for a while, he just never got around to sending her one. When she opened the package and read the note she knew that it was going to be a good day, plus she could finally throw out her busted Walkman (it had been scratching her tapes and she would have none of that).

She claimed the couch for herself while she waited for Dean and popped the CD into Sawyer Longens boombox, (Dean saw him using it the other day, and he told Nia that she could borrow it for exactly 30 minutes).

She pressed play and when she did she almost cried. The songs were soulful and they all had the most amazing beats. This was probably the best thing that had happened to her in a while. Halfway through the first track she turned her hearing aid all the way down, covered her left ear, and put her hand on top of one of the speakers. Oh, it was heavenly, she could sit like that all day. Hell, she could probably fall asleep to those vibrations.

When she felt the couch cushion dip down she opened her eyes to see Dean right in her line of view, distracting her from the melodies. "Where to this week?"

Nia huffed and thought to herself. Let's see, she had just made 15 galleons this month, all of her late-night snakes had run out, and Justin stole her star chart and still hasn't returned it. "Gringotts, Honeydukes, and Wiseacres. How about you?" She listed each location on her hand, which was kind of hard considering she was signing.

"Well I really just need to go Tomes and Scrolls, and I'll be set."

"So I'll meet you at the carriages after breakfast?"

Dean nodded and got up from the couch at the same time Seamus and Neville came flying down the stairs. Both of them nodded and smiled at her and continued walking until she grabbed Neville by the arm and held him back. Seamus and Dean were too busy shoving each other to notice. She had wanted to talk to him, she hadn't seen him since their time in the library, and she'd be lying if she said she wasn't still worried about him.