19 - The Truth Bomb's Exploded

THE SHRILL SOUND OF THE BELL RINGING filled Eloquin's ears as she leaned against her locker, waiting for Gwen to finish telling her a story about how Flash scored some amazing goal in football. Her eyes droopily followed the girl as she continued chattering about what an amazing boyfriend he was, and how she just wished people would stop misunderstanding him. 

"He's an angel, really. I understand why people might think he's a bit.. different sometimes, but he doesn't mean to hurt anyone. He really doesn't." Gwen said as she finished touching up her makeup with her compact mirror. Eloquin nodded, too tired to comprehend anything her friend was saying. If she had really been paying attention, she would have groaned. 

"Eloquin, are you there? Hello! Earth to Eloquin?" Gwen snapped. Eloquin stood up a bit straighter and nodded ferociously, fixing up her hair. "Yeah, totally." She said, pretending to reply to whatever her friend had just said. Gwen sighed before placing a hand on her shoulder and rubbing it. "You seem really tired, are you sure you're not sick or something?"

Eloquin shook her head, giving her a reassuring smile. "No, just the Stark Internship. Long hours and what not." She expected Gwen of all people to relate, considering the girl was an intern at one of Stark's biggest rivals, Oscorp. Gwen frowned, dropping her arm and nodding along. "I know, I feel you." 

Eloquin fiddled with the combination lock on her locker, entering the wrong numbers in three times before finally getting the right ones in and prying her old, rusted door open. Midtown was a school filled with some of the brightest students, but that didn't mean it had a big budget. 

"Are you going to the school production of the Wizard Of Oz tomorrow night? Mary Jane told me the drama club has put a big effort into it and that it's going to be great. You should come!" Gwen nudged Eloquin playfully on the shoulder. 

"Uhh, yeah, sure. I guess I don't have any better plans other than Netflix and crying over a tub of ice cream. What time is it?" Eloquin said as a yawn escaped her lips. She rubbed her eyes before pulling out her PE clothes from her locker. "Ugh, I do enough physical activity, I don't need PE." Eloquin groaned. 

"Like what? Walking to the fridge and back?" Gwen snickered. Eloquin threw her a pained look and shook her head. "Okay, okay, I'm sorry. Apparently, i can't just go around dropping truth bombs on people. But it's at seven thirty. Maybe you can even bring a date..." Gwen teased. 

Out of the corner of her eye, Eloquin caught a figure stumbling along the hallways, bumping into people and mumbling apologies. Her breath caught in her throat when she locked eyes with him, her eyes going wide before she quickly looked away.

"Peter, hey!" Gwen yelled at the boy, grabbing his attention before he could walk away. Eloquin could swear she saw him wince slightly before looking to the ground. Gwen waved her arms at him trying to get him to come over, but her simply ignored her and walked around the corner.