chapter six, "ex imperium"

Footsteps stormed through the dark and empty hall at a quick pace, carrying tension along with them as if there already wasn't enough tension which had been dangerously mixed with the sadness of the mourning and the creepypasta's carefree attitudes. The footsteps had grown closer to the living room where most of the two groups had tried to hang out as not everyone had been given their own bedrooms, so the living room had been the only option they had.

The footsteps revealed themselves as none other than Delirious and Vanoss, both boys with concern written all over their faces. Evan's hand had been tightly clutched onto a pistol, Delirious matching but instead with his baseball bat. Watching the two head over to the doors of the giant cabin and hastily leave had seemed to have caught the group of former gamers' attention joined by curiosity and confusion. Only, Nogla actually had an idea on what had got them so quickly out the door. It really only meant one thing.

"(Y/n)'s group is back," David thought out loud, his gaze turning from their leader and clown friend to the gloomy friends who had their attentions already turned to him. They seemed to relax from their curiosity and confusion, but they didn't realize it would only be replaced by their own worry and renewed curiosity as they hadn't exactly let David finish. "But they brought someone with."

And there it was. The replaced looks on their faces as they heard those five words come from David's lips. The anxiety and curiosity they hadn't realized a second ago that would seize their hearts. None of them looked relax anymore. And David almost felt like an asshole for ruining it, but there wasn't much he could do now. He couldn't really reassure them it was fine, because what if it wasn't? He'd just lie to them. He just had to go see for himself. So that's when he stood up to go look for himself. "I'm gonna go check it out, so I'll be back."

But Lui wasn't comfortable in just letting his best friend go out there alone. Well, technically he wasn't, going out there alone, but Lui felt it would be without him tagging along. He stood up just after David had, walking over to him with anxiety plaguing his mind. "I'm coming with." He told him firmly, standing by his side as if he were telling him he wasn't going to take no for an answer. David noticed this, and frankly, he didn't want to argue with the older of the two. So he let him come along; what harm would be done even if he did? None. None at all.

The three from the inside of the truck had managed to climb out just as Lui and David left the cabin, making their way to the truck while the rest of the group stayed inside and watched with caution through the small windows of the camp cabin. Evan and Delirious stood beside the truck bed, helping Craig, Liu and Jack haul the shit from the back. Shouldn't Evan be talking to the stranger?

"Hey," David greeted the five men with a straight face. Sure, he was happy to see his friends alive, but still upset enough about Brock to not be able to smile. (Y/n) glanced at the tall and short duo who'd just arrived to the scene and seen him greet his friends which brought a warm smile upon her face. She and Jane both traveled around the truck to meet Axton who'd been on the driver's side, which caused him to smile happily at the two girls.

Feet met with the Earth's dirt as Craig jumped down from the side of the truck, his tired eyes looking up at David and his arms feeling the need to adjust the heavy duffel bag slung over his shoulder. "What's up, man?" His voice broke through the temporary silence before his gray-blue eyes turned to the other two in the bed, one of which held a travel bag filled to the brim with various foods and beverages, and the other had a tote bag presumably filled with over-the-counter medications.

David's hand reached for the strap of one of the other two duffel bags and slid it close to him once he felt his fingers loop around the embroidery, proceeding to swing the bag over his shoulder in a careless manner. His glasses glinted in the little light that seeped through the thin clouds spread across the still dark gray sky as a result of the rain, though he didn't seem to care because he stood still with his head peering down at the gravel as if he were thinking. Craig's eyebrows furrowed impatiently at David's silence, but he knew anyway that David was thinking about the past few days... and probably what had happened to Brock in those past few days. Craig's eyebrows softened because of it.