Chapter 1

The world is changing. People are starting to care less and less about what isn't them. Horrible actions have become more acceptable. The wealthy thrives away from it all, like it doesn't concern them. Truth be told, it doesn't. They don't care about the suffering of everyone else's family. They only care about themselves.

The government has created a new money maker to fuel societies sick need to be entertained. Children. All children 7 and up can be taken at any moment. From school, the streets, your house. They are collared and sent away, treated like animals. The only way to get your child back is to give another one up. What is this tragedy you might ask? The child zoo.

The wealthy float above it all of course. They pay to live in neighborhoods and send their child to school where they can't be taken. No one cares about the ones who can't afford it. If you want to guarantee your child's safety you will pay. If you can't oh well. Hold your child tight while you can.

Who are the next victims to this despicable system? Me. My school. And the families of us kids.
*************************************
Mom had trained me on how to avoid the catching. On the street walking home from school, let me rephrase, sprinting home. "Climb the fence to the wealthy neighborhood as soon as it comes into sight. Be swift, don't get caught. Make your way through then climb up the other side and dash to our house."

My mom bought a house right outside the wealthy neighborhood for this reason. At school. "Listen and be alert at all times. Listen specifically for footsteps. If you hear more than two, hide. Anywhere you can. If you think you caught it in time go to the bathroom, they won't go there. If they are too close, go to any corner, dark space, closet. If they don't see you they won't bother looking for you. And don't. Trust. Teachers."

I listened carefully to what my mother instilled in me. I followed all her instructions and my hearing heightened. I managed to save me and my best friend multiple times. But today, I couldn't.

I was sitting in my desk in class next to Taylor, my best friend. I was still listening for footsteps when crash! Broken glass. Men filled the room. I tried to run but was grabbed. Why didn't I hear them coming? Then I noticed something. Their shoes. They were like air. Silent shoes. Boom, game changer.

I knew there was no point in trying to escape, unless I wanted to be tazed. A shock collar and leash was placed on my neck. Remembering I frantically looked around for Taylor, hoping she got away. No luck. No one did. My gaze was yanked away from Taylor, literally. I hissed at the pain but didn't say anything.

All of us were being pulled outside where a big van awaited us, along with wealthy reporters and people who "study" the zoo. A lady in heels and a suit with long manicured nails waited at the door of the van. She must be a manager. As I was about to enter the van I was stopped. "So interesting" a man in about his forties tried to reach out and touch me.

"Be careful they might bite or growl." Said the manager lady. And that's exactly what I did when his hand came close to me. Unfortunately he managed to pull it away. "It will be interesting to watch this one." He spoke over me like I wasn't even a person. "Maybe someone should put you in a cage." I spat at him.

Before I could say more I was snatched forward. The manager lady yanked my ear toward her. "Do you know who that is? How dare you!" I just looked at her bored. I honestly didn't care who it was but she decided to tell me anyway. "That is the top informant and researcher around!"

I still didn't speak to her because I still didn't care. She shoved me along. "Mutt" she mocked. "Bitch" I sneered. I got a glimpse of her shocked face before the door closed on it.

Inside were the other kids in my class. I noticed Taylor in the corner so I went over to sit next to her but someone was already there. "Move." The boy next to her smirked at me. "No" ok so this it is. I rammed my elbow into his skull. He cried out in pain but scooted over. Taking my seat I began to rub Taylors back, consoling her.

The car ride was long, about an hour. We arrived at a very futuristic building. Best part. It hovered in the air. The van pulled up to this tube with a door on it. As it came to a stop all of us were yanked out the door. They shoved us all into the tube and before I could blink we were flying upward. The "ride" only lasted about thirty seconds before we reached the top. The manager lady was already up there, fake smile plastered onto her face.

It instantly fell when she saw me, however. "This way" she beckoned us to follow her. The hallways were a chrome looking white. The walls glass. (Shatter proof I assume) these people may be evil but they are not stupid. The devil herself stopped in front of a silver voice activated door. "Via open." With that command the door slid back revealing a truly astounding sight.

A room with games, tv's, beanbag chairs, couches, snack machines, you name it. "This children, is your activity room, you are free to use it when the zoo is closed. However when the zoo is open you will be kept in there." This is bull. Sure there is an activity center but the zoo is open 10 hours a day. And I don't care how much cool stuff you give me you still kidnapped me and put me in a zoo.

The others however seemed to disagree. "Wow cool!" Said a boy named Xavier in my class. "And these children," she began to speak again. "Are simulators of the outside world as you will not be seeing it again for years." Way to be blunt. "Also in the far wall of the room" she pointed to a door. "Is your sleeping facilities. The code to this door is 4579. The zoo is now open so let's get you prepped." She left and men came in and lined us up.

Pieces of fabric were thrust at us and a voice came over the intercom. "Clothes on." They expected us to change with these men in here? Just then one of them boomed out "put them on now or we'll do it for you." No way. With that I put the clothes on. Oh my god these people are pervs. Leaf bras and skirts. They were made out of fabric but designed Adam and Eve stile. The guys had on what appeared to be longer leaf skirts.

With that we were pushed out a door and met with a LARGE enclosure. It had rocks, grass, trees, vines, bushes, flowers, you name it. But it was off. Everything was real but seemed so fake. The grass cut like a football field, the rocks polished, trees perfectly trimmed, even the vines hung neat like a decoration.

There were other people there of course, young and old. Most of my classmates and I fell in the middle of the age spectrum, being 13. It goes from ages 7 to 20. Once 20 you are released. But you can never get those years back of your life. It's not right.

Getting tired of this I went to find Taylor. But then I heard. "The zoo is now allowing entry." What?

***
April 29th 2112
4/21/2112