Chapter 5

YeEun

I stared at her from the car window looking for a job at a cafe, I stared at her begging the manager for a job. A job that she is completely unfamiliar with, the job that she never wanted to ever do.

She is now crying, kneeling down on the floor continuing to beg for a job. The manager doesn't seem that she is going to give her a chance.

Because one - she is inexperienced in this field, two - she is a bit too old for the job. She is 24 and she is asking for a job that teenagers normally do.

I really wanted to go to the store to stand up for her but I really can't. She told me to stay away from her forever. I have to keep up to the promise.

"And I would quit my job for real and disappear from your lives forever."

I looked at her getting out of the store in despair and she was sighing all the time. She has been rejected.

I looked at her looking at the adverts in the newspapers, canceling out one and calling on the phone for another.

She wiped away her tears and faked a smile. "Hi, good afternoon!! May I know if you are free now?? I'm now free and I wonder if we could have the interview now??"

Her smile slowly became a frown. "You already have a replacement for it?? How fast, you are really good at finding the right person for the job."

Rejected again...

She bowed to the air. "Yes, I will contact you when you can have a vacancy. Yes, have a nice day!!" She hung up the call and placed the phone in her pocket walking away from the store.

I can't do this anymore. I gathered my belongings and got out of the car ready to comfort her and tell that it is okay and maybe live with me for a while before we decide to switch lives when...

A phone call came. It is from JiSoo.

I looked at her but she is already out of my sight.

I sighed and picked up the call.

"Yes, what is it??"

"Unnie, I have something to ask you. It is about the boutique, why are there so few employees?? Are the rest on leave?? That Yoon SiEun, too. She is not there."

"I fired all of them, they were annoying."

"Really?? Unnie, you really did that?? Can I help in recruiting new employees??"

"Of course you can. Wait till I come back from the boutique."

"Ne, unnie. I will be waiting for you at the cafe near the boutique." I hang up the call.

What a hassle...

I sighed and drove back to the cafe.

--------

SiEun

I walked back to my apartment where there were 2 people standing in front of my door and knocking furiously on it. There is one that is short with both arms tattooed and one tall wearing a singlet.

"I'm here so stop knocking. You would have to pay for it if you break it."

One turned around. He is short with tattoos inked on both arms. "Oh, you're back?? I thought that you were sleeping in as usual. Where have you been, Miss Part-timer??"

I rolled my eyes at the atrocious nickname and took the money out of my wallet. "Here's the money that you want. Take it and leave."

The other took it and counted the stack of money to make sure they gave him the correct amount. Once I gave him one dollar short, I nearly got killed. These people are very strict in that department.

"Eh?? Isn't it 500,000 won per month?? Why is it so much?? This is 12 times the amount."

"I know, that's why I'm giving it to you. I wanted to pay you back the remaining amount in one go. Aren't you guys happy??"

"We are but do you have any money to spare after that?? We are talking about 6 million won right now and you only earn like 1/6 of it."

"Of course I do. Also after this, don't come back anymore. I'm moving."

"To where??" The short one asked.

"To some random countryside. I'm bored of the city life. I'm moving by the end of this week."

I lied to them so that they wouldn't pester me again. Besides I have already paid all the debts which make them having no reasons to pester me.

"Good that you are moving to the countryside, the air there is fresh and there are no people pestering you for money."

"Then thanks for always pestering me for the past 6 years. You sure add color to my life."

"We sure did and we witnessed you growing up from a high schooler to a fine lady minus the elegant part." The tall one said.

Am I really not that elegant??

"Goodbye Miss Yoon, enjoy your holidays!!" They both said and waved at me as I made my way inside my apartment.

I placed the newspapers down on the coffee table and laid down on the couch.

I have failed 2 interviews, why can't they just accept me?? Is serving coffees and lattes to customers that hard??

Why must I have to train to be a Barista first?? Isn't it just pouring skimmed milk in a more complicated way??

This can't be, I have to find a job by the end of this week or I will really have no money. I have emptied all my savings to pay back the debts and I'm only left with just 100,000 won which is probably not going to last until this week.

Can I find a job by tomorrow??

"Aishh!!" I pulled a pillow over my head ready to fall asleep when my phone dinged.

I laid down on the couch holding my phone with both my hands and staring at the phone.

Unknown string of numbers

This is the Pink Mario Cafe. You have been accepted for the final interview, please be at the restaurant tomorrow at 9 am straight for a simple interview.

Thanks, The Pink Mario.

I rubbed my eyes to see if my eyes were playing tricks on me. I blinked and stared at the message in front of me.

It is still there. It's real.

I immediately got up from my couch and jumped in joy. I have an interview again.

But I don't remember signing up for this. When did I even signed up for this??