Chapter Twenty-Three

Tom had walked to the store.

It seemed like a good idea back when it was only overcast and no rain dared pour down, but now it seems as though Mother Nature is seeking revenge at Tom. He knows what he did, but he can't apologize for it. It's stupid. He isn't the only person who would abandon Matt at a grocery store due to inconveniences.

But now it's raining down hard and Tom knows he's the one to blame for it.

"FUCK!" Tom's original plan was to take Tord on a walk around a nearby park, an opportunity for the two of them to talk and get to know more about each other compared to last night, but now it seems as though the rainy sky is just a blockade in the road for their outdoors date. It's impossible to see farther than 10 feet ahead of you, the mist of the air and the darkened sky blocking far sighted scenery ahead.

"Woah," Tord speaks up the moment Tom let out that loud yell, "calm down, Tom."

Tord is smiling and his teeth are even brighter today. Does he use strips? Whatever.

"What's got you in a happy mood?" Tom grunts and he's pulling up the hood of his hoodie as he walks out into the parking lot of the store, his checkered shoes sloshing around in the newly forming rain puddles.

"You'll find out.~"

And that's it. Tord flirts and Tom feels alright, regardless of his now soaking pants and sopping shoes being trudged through the dirty water on the ground.

Traveling through the parking lot, Tom keeps a steady pace of meandering and Tord follows close behind. With all this slow walking, it's giving Tom enough time to think and consider what could be the best decision to do.

Matt drove to the store in a car. The only car.

Tom had asked many times why they only have one car, but Edd would only tell him that they used to have two cars back when it was just Matt, Tord, and himself. However, Edd says, Tord crashed the car after trying to impress a girl with the red convertible, and he's too unfortunate enough to get the money to purchase another one. After that incident, it's only been the single rusty car that was a hand down from Edd's parents. That car is bound to break down soon.

Regardless, Matt still drove to the store with it. Because of this, that means that there is no car back at home, and there is no one rides to come and pick Tom and Tord up from the store without Matt.

However, Matt remains in the store and the car seems to be outside and parked in the lot.

"Tord?"

"Yeah?"

"Did Matt leave the keys in the car?"

"I don't know. Why?"

Tom doesn't answer as he searches long and hard, looking until he finally spotted that worn-down and old car parked hazardously and sideways in an handicapped parking space. Of course Matt parked it that way. It's surprising to even think of that idiot being capable of driving, but that's besides the point.

He's already making his way over there, with Tord following close behind, and by the time he reaches the car he isn't surprised to find that the car doors are unlocked. He nudges open the doors and climbs inside, where the interior is suddenly very cold and reminding Tom of how he's sitting in a car automobile while soaking wet. He'd be lucky if he didn't catch a cold.

Thank the lord and The Sun God Ra and every other god from every other religion, because Matt had left the car keys inside and they were perfectly placed in the little keyhole. The passenger side door of the car pries itself open and Tord jumps in quickly, shutting the door even quicker.