Prologue

PROLOGUE

/ dedicated to Kyra for being my kik buddy and my wattpad bff; you constantly inspire me to NOT (un)humiliate myself every month. /

            MIDDAY STRIKES AND HER BRIGHT BLUE EYES SHARPENS. The sad thing about being dumped by your long-term boyfriend who has been completely honest more than yourself and his quality of being the perfect boyfriend for Martha Jeanette is ruined because of this heartbreaking scenario. Of course Martha has to smile.

            “You are breaking up with me?” Oh the familiar lines of girls being dumped. She asks and he nods slowly. His olive eyes still stare at her blue ones. His sharp jaws tenses and his cheeks smolder with red flames.

            “I’m sorry.” He repeats for the umpteenth time of the day. He digs his tan face to his large hands. Right now, they stand by the edge of Starbucks and Calvin hopes that Martha wouldn’t throw a tantrum.

            “Why? I don’t understand, please do tell.” She croaks out although her eyes do not crinkle with tears but only oxygen piercing through her lungs as if it needs to escape. Her heart pumps faster than an average pace and she tries to straighten up without being the overly dramatic girlfriend.

            He sighs. “Martha,” he says deeply before looking up to her and Calvin continues to state the continuing sentence. “I don’t know if you will understand but we have been together for almost six years and we have been hot and cold. We’re messed up and we’re back again. It’s like; we get back together feeling all awkward without solving that problem. It’s a bothering thing, Marty.”

              “Is it because of me? Is it because I keep on buying designer bags instead of studying my butt off in Hertford?”

            He shakes his head. “No, it’s not you…” He hesitates for a second then her eyebrows thicken in assurance.

            “Okay so maybe that is also a part BUT it is because of me.” Her eyes fall to its deepest desire to cry but nothing pains more when your boyfriend decides to break up with you just because you have a great love for material things that sparkle in transparent walls with mannequins hanging by with an expense waiting to be bought.

            “You? What did you do?”

            “A year ago, we went to Delilah Burke’s party and we decided that we throw a game called ‘Seven Minutes in Heaven’ so Kerby and I were picked? I—“

            “Please don’t tell me you are cheating on me.”

            “It’s not like that, we just made—“

            “Made-out? Calvin, I know you’re pretty much an honest boyfriend but that’s basically a part of the game. Don’t worry, love, that’s the past—“

            He shakes his head. “Made love.”

            She laughs although her heart clenches, her hearty voice becomes bittersweet. Her lips taste like toxin filled with acid ready to condense her plump lips. Her eyes then build salty tears and each tear falls one by one. Of all people Martha could face it had to be Kerby Dasheen to be the greatest enemy when they are the best of friends. They did meet at a local model agency in Kansas two years ago and they decide to study at New York to fill in their fervor dreams of traveling.

            “Oh Calvin! You are so silly, so you just want to move on because you had sex with Kerbs? Be lucky to have a woman like me because I know you are embarrassed about that one time thing.”

            He nods slowly but his jaw clenches more. “It is a onetime thing but we wanted to be together, the pull was unusual. A spark that flew from the air waiting for it to ignite and burn brighter than the sun, we tried to date other people – we tried to get busy as a way to forget that momentum but it pulls us more and I’m afraid... I have fallen for her.”

            Calvin didn’t expect she is this violent – cheeks flushed, eyes turning to a darker shade of blue, teeth gritting out as if hissing as a cat and an empty glass that bonks his rigid head but the part where her Frappucino collides with his hefty body, the cream made him look like Santa Claus and her battle cry only causes everyone to join in. In breakups, hot cups and cold cakes smash to every bit of direction of Starbucks. The cashiers panic to call better security. It is a caffeine fight.

            So there he is crawling like a dog where hits are minimal as people focus on those they strongly hate from the beginning of their lives until this sole part where a CCTV camera can post this at America’s Most Embarrassing Videos. He stands up quickly and gives a short glance to where Martha is, he gives her an apologetic look and he wants to return to her but there is no choice.

             It is goodbye. Forever.