Chapter 1

You pushed your foot down on the accelerator. The only thing on your mind at the moment, was reaching your destination - The SHIELD headquarters, which you had never seen once in your entire life, before it was too late.  The need for the organisation was identified shortly after your father had burned it to the ground, and it had to be reconstructed from its roots.

Hydra was done for and your elder sister had the biggest part to play in it. The press had gone so far as to say that if it hadn't been for Natalie Rogers, Hydra's reign of terror would have continued indefinitely.  Natalie Rogers, named after her mother Natasha Romanoff, was probably the only Rogers child who made her parents proud. You weren't even a Rogers. You were (Y/N) (L/N).

Your father's surname not only robbed you of all anonymity,but also connected you to memories you didn't necessarily want to remember. So you changed it to (L/N) as soon as the law allowed you.

Even though it had been a victory, the war against Hydra had taken many casualties. Captain America was one of them. A quarter of an hour ago, you were at his funeral. You knew no one and no one knew you. To top it all off, you felt nothing for the man. You didn't know what to feel.

As much as Steve and Natasha wanted to be there for their two daughters, work always got in the way. The world knew about neither of yours existence, not even The Avengers or SHIELD. If it had been on the contrary, the targets painted on their backs would be passed on to yours and that was not something either of your parents were ready to compromise with.

All of these and many, many more factors contributed in driving the rift between you and your parents further apart.  Besides, saving the world was undoubtedly more important than some middle school play, even if you were in the lead. Eventually your sister developed an avid interest in your parents' profession and it wasn't long before Natalie Rogers was the best assassin the world had ever known, after her mother, of course.

As for you, you moved to France right after high school, for higher education. You got French citizenship after graduating university and hadn't looked back since. Surprisingly, away from home was the most at home you had ever felt. Sure, your parents called and wrote to you, but not one visit was accounted for.

After your mother's demise, all contact with home was vanquished.  You never knew the cause of death but you assumed it was on the job, blaze of glory style like she had always wanted. It was partly the guilt of not attending your mother's funeral that drove you to be at your father's. At least they were together now, Heaven knew how disturbingly melancholic Steve had been during all those years he had to spend as a widower.

It was at that wretched funeral that you came across the disturbing piece of information. Eavesdropping wasn't usually your thing, but the expressions on the faces of the men huddled near your father's coffin stirred suspicion. "Hydra cannot end. All our life's work would go to waste." The man displayed a particularly grim expression.

"It won't, gentlemen." This man's presence made you specifically uneasy, "All of this would not have happened if Natalie Rogers wouldn't have been born and we are about to make that happen." He continued to explain his strategy in painstaking detail and the more you heard, the denser you felt darkness consuming you.

The SHIELD headquarters came into view and you slammed down the brakes. Honesty, you didn't know if any of this was worth it, but you knew it had to be done. It would not be easy. For starters, you would have to convince the officials that you were, in fact, Steve Rogers' daughter and not some deranged stranger.

Politeness wouldn't take you anywhere, so you switched to the next best thing - vandalism. A couple shattered windows, a dozen broken chairs and an ardent decision to not leave resulted in you handcuffed, standing in front of Alex Restarick - the director of SHIELD.

Drawing in a deep breath, you summoned all the courage you had. "I am Steve Rogers' daughter and I have crucial information regarding an assassination being planned against my deceased father."