Chapter 12

"I don't want to save my father, Steve." You repeated the sentence in the sheer horror of its truth.

"Alright, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Come here. Sit." Steve's voice came from further away. He was seated on one side of the bed and was motioning for you to do the same on the other side.

You were too lost in thought to argue. Barely aware of having crossed the distance, you took your seat, pale as a ghost. Steve didn't know where to begin. What he had just witnessed wasn't merely your fear, but also his own.

"If things were different, if you were having this conversation with the Steve before the ice, I would've answered differently." He finally said, "I would've stated point blank that everything your parents do is for your own good and if you don't see it now, you will when you are grown enough."

He hesitated a bit before resuming. He was about to disclose thoughts which no one knew about but had always been there.

"Since then I've seen things, known people. I don't know what reason your father had for his actions." Steve looked up and something in his eyes commanded you to sit and listen.
"With my job and everything, I'm afraid I'll be one of those parents whose children don't talk to them and grow up to hate them. I'm afraid I'll have to choose work over...over school plays, graduations, birthdays. As someone who is probably going to be in the same position with his children as your father is with you, I'd say talk to him."

In the event of being called out on imposing himself where he wasn't required, he quickly added, "If nothing, the closure will give you an opportunity to know why your life was the way it was. And who knows, maybe the man does have a good reason for it all."

The air was heavy with emotions of two people who, unknowingly, were consumed by their vehemence of apathy for the other. The two of you sat there in silence for what felt like hours. Every few minutes Steve would look up to see you staring down into oblivion, still as stone.

"Merci, Capitaine." You ultimately sat up, the stoicity of your face never changing a shade, "I will take my laisser."

Steve's eyes brightened. "You're going to talk to him?"

"No." Your eyes met his bearing an ice cold stare. "I'm not looking to plaisir myself in any more pain than I'm already in. I will, toutefois, contact l'ambassade de France and see what they can do about my father's sécurité. I couldn't possibly live with la culpabilité of knowing that a man is décédé because of me."

Steve didn't say a word. It wasn't his place to.

The conversation had clouded your mind even further. You regretted resenting your father for the very reason that had been his greatest fear for the longest time. On the other hand, it was absolutely abhorrent that Steve could be there, he could console a practical stranger in better ways than to his own daughter.

The only sound in the room was of your footsteps walking away, which abruptly stopped near the door.

Resting your hand on the frame and turning your head the slightest bit, you said, "As someone who is currently in the same position with her father as you are probably going to be in with your children, I'd say you do not mériter the closure."

A/N: And I still don't think this is angsty enough. Damn. What is wrong with me.