Chapter 8

You practically floated through the hallways of Stark tower looking for someone useful. You didn't necessarily regret sending Tony to bed; the man looked like he was on a coacine high.

Nonetheless, you went to see him for a reason and now that he wasn't available anymore, you needed someone who could help you.

"Capitaine!" You turned a corner and ran into Steve. "Dieu merci I found you. I was wondering if you could help me."

"I would love to (Y/N)." Steve's eyes strayed beyond you, attempting to reach the desired location with his mind before he physically could. "But there's somewhere I need to be."

Countless distinct events of your life surged past you in a flash. "I have somewhere to be too. It's called Paris, France. So if you refrain from indulging in inutile argument and actually be of assistance, we can all be where we are required without further dèlai."

"Fine." Steve sensed the futility of denying you service. "What do you want?"

"Merci." You weren't grateful at all. "I will need a copie of all missions assigned to the team in the upcoming seven to ten days."

Even though Hydra would probably love to flaunt Steve's murder, you knew they wouldn't ambush the tower. That would be suicide. The most likely probability was that the trap would be set out in the form of a mission, which was why you required the outsourced assignments, fast. It also vouched for your bluntness and irritability.

Steve sighed in exhaustion. "Shouldn't Tony be doing this? Where is he?" As if Steve wasn't already doing the trick, a piece of stray hair fell on your face to add to your annoyance. You blew it away. "He's endormi."

"Asleep!? It's noon!" Steve's face creased with countless lines, "I'm gonna go wake him up." You never fully turned your head but you saw him attempting to walk past you. Planting your hand firmly on his arm, you stopped him in his tracks. "Don't."

"Excuse me?" He took a few steps back to his former position.

You trained your eyes on Steve. "If I specifically needed him, I would've asked him. But I asked you, je ne l'ai pas? I believe you are just as capable of providing me with the paperwork."

Steve sensed nothing but determination in your eyes. "This way."

-

You glared at the stack of papers in front of you. They were full of mundane assignments - arms dealers, drug lords, mafia. Nothing even remotely jumped out.

"Need any help?" The sound of approaching footsteps followed by Natasha's voice made you look at her. "Steve told me Stark's asleep. Good for him, I think he pulled an all nighter. Anyway, I came here to see if you needed any help. You just have to ask, you know."

"I'm trying to form a général theory regarding the kind of work you propose to do." You passed a copy of your notes to her, "Stratégie and autre related aspects."

"Oh my god, Riven. You're such a jerk!" (Y/N) launched her phone at the wall, causing its body to break apart. That didn't matter, though. What her parents lacked in show of affection, they more than made up for it in material things. She would have a new phone in two days, maximum.

Later that day, Natalie was having a very heated conversation with her mother.

"I don't know, mom." She stressed her point stronger, "She's been really erratic. I think Riven cheated on her." After hearing her mother's reply, she yelled. "How do you not know who Riven is!? Look, I'm gonna hand her the phone now. Talk to her." With that, Natalie thrust the phone to her sister's ear.

"Mom." (Y/N) said dryly. She knew what was coming.

"Hey, honey." Natasha's sweet voice sounded strained, "Listen, these kind of things happen all the time. Trust me, you'll find someone better."

(Y/N) was spent. She did not have the strength to roll her eyes. "Can I at least skip school tomorrow? It would be nice to not see his stupid face for a while."

"What? No! (Y/N) he's going to be there for the whole of high school. So, what, you won't be attending classes for the next two years? Young lady, you will be at school tomorrow and I'll ask Twyla so you better go." Natasha had made her decision and there was no overruling it.

"Mom-"

"Baby, there are people dying out here because I'm not doing what I'm supposed to. Don't miss school, bye. Love you." That being the entirety of the conversation, Natasha hung up.

Twyla was (Y/N)'s and Natalie's caretaker. An honest, god fearing woman. It would be easier to wish for an earthquake and actually watch it destroy the school than to expect her to lie.

(Y/N) was staring blankly at her sister and even though Natalie wasn't a psychic, she knew her sister was wondering in what world did she think calling their mother was a good idea.

"Do you need help?" Natasha's voice in the present seized your focus, "Banner is really good at these things." You began collecting your papers. "Je vous remercie for the offer but I'm habituated to doing things for myself."

A disturbance in the air made you cease all motion. The stiffness in Natasha's demeanour ensured she heard it too. The sound began with a faint hum and quickly escalated to a full fledged engine roar. Almost on cue, an assignment file dated for today fell in your lap.

And then it occurred to you. This was where Steve so urgently needed to be. The team was leaving on a mission.