Chapter 11

The hallways in the SHIELD headquarters were unusually silent. In his office, Alexander Pierce sat deep in thought, a grave expression on his face.

Being the leading pioneer of a parasitic organisation growing inside another organisation undeniably took its toll on a man. Today, he was pondering upon a different development. A light rap on his door brought him back to reality.

Simon Ratchett was standing in the doorway. Pierce absent mindedly motioned for him to come in. For a man who was accurately precise and articulate about the most mundane details, the fact that he did not remember how many days had passed since Ratchett had appeared out of nowhere claiming to be a man from the future here to guard Hydra from its end certainly reflected the enormity of the situation.

"Sir, if I may." Simon began rather unwittingly, "Why are we wasting time? It has been days since my arrival and you haven't so much as spoken about the formulation of a strategy, much less to all intents and purposes, formulate one. I believe we should act while you still have authority."

Much to Pierce's disdain, Ratchett was right. Amongst the numerous things Ratchett had informed him about the destiny of the organisation he had dedicated the best years of his life to, he had learned that soon enough SHIELD would identify Hydra flourishing in its cover and make its best possible attempts to vanquish it.

That would be the fight in which Alexander Pierce would serve as a martyr, which was an honour in itself, but it also meant that he had a very limited scope to eliminate the enemy who went on to create a doomed tomorrow.

He left his chair and walked over to the large window behind his desk. Outside, the setting sun casted a warm orange glow on SHIELD's compound. SHIELD's or Hydra's? Few knew the question existed; even fewer knew the answer.

"You speak well, Ratchett. Yet, you do not see the big picture." His lips spread into a menacing grin.

Despite his surprise, Ratchett kept his posture. After all, he was standing in front of one of the most celebrated personalities in all of Hydra history. "I'm sorry, sir, there's- there's a bigger picture?"

"Indeed there is." Pierce turned to face his visitor. "Steve Rogers has brought upon his imminent untimely death through his own actions. But what benefit will merely killing him provide us? You must know, Simon, that an incident of such significance should be utilised for all it's worth."

"What do you propose, sir?" Ratchett awaited his orders.

Pierce spoke with the right mix of authority and candidness. "Rogers' death will have a certain lot of witnesses. A public incident, so to speak. The world shall be made aware of a power so subtle yet so complete, that none must even think of what we forbid. It must know that we are capable of slaughtering its mighty Captain and much worse is to come if they do not willingly surrender control."

In that moment, Simon Ratchett truly understood why Alexander Pierce was worshipped through and through. Scarce were born with a rivalling brilliant mind.

With a respectful nod, he turned around and exited the office, fully assured that he had devoted his time and effort to the most paramount purpose there ever was.